The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! I will soon be the proud owner of an 18 year old gelding. He is a quarter horse and we do dressage together. He is my first horse and I am through the moon about him. I have been leasing him for almost a year and riding him for two. Anyway, he is going to get top notch care with me and I can’t wait to spoil him. What are your thoughts on the best way to treat his mane and tail for ultimate growth and health?

·
Banned
283 Posts
Leave it alone? You could try braiding, I did for a while, but it's quite a high risk because you can lose a tonne of hair if it gets ripped or bitten out. I also found his mane and tail looked so thin when I took the braids out, especially after I brushed it.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,090 Posts
Use a good quality detangler, generously and often. Detangle with just your fingertips, starting at the ends, at least once a week. If you stay on top of it, you'll avoid knots and snags, and you won't get breakage. Lower risk than braiding, and more comfortable for the horse. And it will keep everything slick and nice.

·
Registered
3,016 Posts
I leave the mane and tail alone for the most part. Comb out the mane regularly, finger comb the tail if there are knots forming. Otherwise don't brush the tail until you are going somewhere. Then you use a tonne of detangler and spend time as to not pull out hairs.

As a dressage horse, you'll want his mane kept pulled and the tail will be banged to the fetlock. If you are planning to show, at least.

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
Don't comb or brush it. Just take a good quality detangled (I use Manely Long hair) and put it in once or twice a week. I just run my fingers through it and only use a brush on a rare occasion - usually after a bath and with tons of detangler.

I only did low level dressage (back in the day...) but I did have a longer mane at the time. I french braided it down he side and it worked nicely but I did see a really cool video a while back where a person was doing button braids with long hair. When they were done it looked like regular braids....

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Registered
1,953 Posts
I don’t think that no brushing is a hard rule. It really depends on the thickness and strength of the hair. My mare is VERY hairy. She has enough tail for four horses. If I don’t use detangler and a brush every day she gets dreadlocks which I have to cut out. I’ve been brushing her mane and tail every day for three years and she still has enough hair for four horses. Plus I regularly have to cut her tail from dragging on the ground. If I keep it brushed I hardly ever pull hair out because there are no snags to pull on. I tried detangling with my fingers and it just isn’t feasible - I don’t have an hour every day to spend on anyone’s hair, be it horse, dog, husband or me.

·
Super Moderator
26,885 Posts
Mine will get the dreadlocks but I Can pick them out in a few minutes... The tail is harder - the mare gets a rats nest that can take 2 hours to detangle.

·
Registered
591 Posts
1) good balanced nutrition to hay.
2) In spring and winter, keep the tail trimmed enough to keep it out of mud; I aim for hock length. This keeps the tail from drying out at the ends and breaking.
3) Find a good detangler/moisturizer, without silicone ( ingredients ending with -cone), If possible.
4) Keep on schedule with deworming
5) I'm going to go against the grain a bit with this one, but I actually recommend brushing the tail at least once a week with a wide tooth comb to prevent the horse from itching their tail and distribute natural oils. I always do this quite carefully prior to detangler. If you find a knot in the hair, carefully untangle it piece by piece with your fingers to avoid breakage. The main idea is to brush the dock and keep hair untangled.

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,090 Posts
Keeping it trimmed to no longer than fetlock length is super important, too, if you want to keep it nice. One of the horses at the barn last year backed up over his own tail in his stall and pulled out some huuuuge chunks of it. A tail long enough to drag on the ground isn't actually a good thing.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Hello! I will soon be the proud owner of an 18 year old gelding. He is a quarter horse and we do dressage together. He is my first horse and I am through the moon about him. I have been leasing him for almost a year and riding him for two. Anyway, he is going to get top notch care with me and I can’t wait to spoil him. What are your thoughts on the best way to treat his mane and tail for ultimate growth and health?
You won't like this answer (for some reason most females hate hearing things like this LOL), but "less is more" or "less is best". Only comb / brush his mane or tail when it's needed. Mine get "maybe" 4 a year (usually less). Even when they come up with a knot(s) in their hair I "untie" the knot(s) by hand and let them go. When I do bush them out the only thing use is coconut oil, because it's good for they hair, makes brushing easier, is absorbed, is a 100% natural product (i.e. no chemical of any kind), and doesn't smell bad LOL.

There is no product that is going to help growth, etc.... The snake oil salesmen will make claims, but it's all rubbish. A horse's genetic code is what determines the type (length, thickness, etc...) it will have. Good diet and prober care might have some impact on the potential, but most of it is genetics (and there is nothing anyone can do about that).

This is my older mare after her Spring grooming (she only got two that year). The hair looks shiny because of the coconut oil (a little bit goes a LONG way). And the same mare after 6 or 7 months without her mane being brushed out (just untangled as needed).

Attachments

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I always use a detangle product and frequently brush out their manes and tails.

My RMHA gelding is the worst; he has wavy hair, and it tangles up daily. Plus he somehow manages to get sticks in his tail everyday!! If he gets sweaty (and we are in the south so that is 10 months of the year) he forms instant dreadlocks :evil:

My QH mare has one spot in her main that will over a couple of weeks slowly twist up. It drives me nuts! So once a week detangle spray for her too.

I have been using stuff called Mane & Tail I think manufactured by Corona.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I brush my horses daily, but I don't brush out their manes and tails unless I'm going to a show or they get a bath and have conditioner in them. For daily grooming, I just use a body brush to get hay or anything out of the tail and then I use my fingers to get any wind knots out of their manes. I use Show Sheen and coconut oil.

·
Registered
9,043 Posts
I always use a detangle product and frequently brush out their manes and tails.

My RMHA gelding is the worst; he has wavy hair, and it tangles up daily. Plus he somehow manages to get sticks in his tail everyday!! If he gets sweaty (and we are in the south so that is 10 months of the year) he forms instant dreadlocks :evil:

My QH mare has one spot in her main that will over a couple of weeks slowly twist up. It drives me nuts! So once a week detangle spray for her too.

I have been using stuff called Mane & Tail I think manufactured by Corona.
Correction, the product is called Mane 'n Tail detangle and manufactured by Straight Arrow.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Don't comb or brush it. Just take a good quality detangled (I use Manely Long hair) and put it in once or twice a week. I just run my fingers through it and only use a brush on a rare occasion - usually after a bath and with tons of detangler.

I only did low level dressage (back in the day...) but I did have a longer mane at the time. I french braided it down he side and it worked nicely but I did see a really cool video a while back where a person was doing button braids with long hair. When they were done it looked like regular braids....
I see a lot of advise on using a detangler on the tail, thanks, I usually just brush his tail starting at the end and only a few strokes. I'll start using detangler now. I'm still new to being around horses, in fact, we're getting a mini tomorrow to keep Merlin (the big thoroughbred) company and are very excited about it. I love grooming our horse, so it's good to know about the specific care that mane and tail require.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Mane and tail care

I see a lot of advise on using a detangler on the tail, thanks, I usually just brush his tail starting at the end and only a few strokes. I'll start using detangler now. I'm still new to being around horses, in fact, we're getting a mini tomorrow to keep Merlin (the big thoroughbred) company and are very excited about it. I love grooming our horse, so it's good to know about the specific care that mane and tail require.

·
Registered
6 Posts
She's gorgeous, thanks for sharing. The coconut oil idea is a no-brainer, but didn't think it would work on a horse, although I use it in my own hair LOL

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.