The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mane Bag adventure

6K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  franknbeans 
#1 ·
I'm going to be making my own manebags! :D

I did a little internet combing and found that most people didn't like the fancier nylon or lycra bags, but had good luck with heavy or lightweight cotton, or polar fleece. I'm rather leery of lightweight cotton, seems too flimsy personally. I'm thinking of making two sets, one out of heavy cotton and one of of fleece and see which one I like better.

I'm kinda leaning towards the heavy cotton though, fleece is nice put seems awfully hot in the summer months.

Now I just gotta figure out how big to make them...I'm thinking two long sets, one for Loki and one for Divo, and one mini set for my colt to kinda encourage his little mane to put some growth in. Though I should maybe wait with him until he's less "I want to put EVERYTHING in my mouth!".

#2 ·
Sounds like a great idea. I have thought of making these myself. You'll have to post some photos of the finished product.

#3 ·
one of my friends has a polarfleece "neck warmer" (her horse is a real softie having lived in stables all his 12 years until she bought him)
and she cut the loop off that attached to the halter and now it slips down his neck towards his chest, so you might want a halter loop.. if you are comfortable with paddocking your horses haltered... I don't incase they hang themselves on something.

#4 ·
I have a love hate relationship with Flees. I love it b/c it is nice and warm. I hate it b/c everything sticks to it.

I personally do not use anything on the braids in my horses manes. I just do a working braid and re do them as needed. Works well. I do make my own tail bags. Stay away from the thin cotton. It lets the dirt in it rubs the braids and pull on the hair. I do not like them. They work well to keep the brain in tail wraps up so they do not get wet but past that I do not like them at all.

I did find some material that I do like quite a bit. Do not know how to describe it though. Just that it is silky like on one side and more of a brushed swade on the other. Does not mess up their hair. Nothing sticks to it cleans up well in thick enough that the dirt does not come through it.

#5 ·
I have a love hate relationship with Flees. I love it b/c it is nice and warm. I hate it b/c everything sticks to it.

I personally do not use anything on the braids in my horses manes. I just do a working braid and re do them as needed. Works well. I do make my own tail bags. Stay away from the thin cotton. It lets the dirt in it rubs the braids and pull on the hair. I do not like them. They work well to keep the brain in tail wraps up so they do not get wet but past that I do not like them at all.

I did find some material that I do like quite a bit. Do not know how to describe it though. Just that it is silky like on one side and more of a brushed swade on the other. Does not mess up their hair. Nothing sticks to it cleans up well in thick enough that the dirt does not come through it.
I have promised to make a batch, since everyone at the barn wants them and they can be expensive. Have been contemplating the fabric, so thanks!

NRHA-which side is the outside? The sueded or the silky? I would think the sueded, but just wanted to check.

#8 ·
I started making a set out of heavy, almost denim like cotton. 'Recycled' from old pants :D Unfortunately, I don't have needle for my perfect-working-condition sewing machine so I've been doing them by hand. I'm just finishing up one now, started it last night.

I want bags 'cause with Divo's mane, it's so long it'll get in his face. I tried doing a running braid (failed) and regular braids have a tendency to hang around his mouth. Also tried tying them up (epic fail) so I'm hoping the bags will yield better results.

#11 ·
Mane bags

I just made my first mane,tail and forelock bags. 3 1/2 " x 8 " for forelock bag, 3 1/2 " x 10 " for mane bag, and 4" x 22 " for tail bag. After using them for a while I might tweek measurements. I made mine out of cotton. I would not think I would use denim would seem too heavy. Might find the material that is two sided , satiny and heavier. I would put the satiny side toward mane, it would tend to polish the hair.

#12 ·
I just made my first mane,tail and forelock bags. 3 1/2 " x 8 " for forelock bag, 3 1/2 " x 10 " for mane bag, and 4" x 22 " for tail bag. After using them for a while I might tweek measurements. I made mine out of cotton. I would not think I would use denim would seem too heavy. Might find the material that is two sided , satiny and heavier. I would put the satiny side toward mane, it would tend to polish the hair.
That was the type of fabric I used to make them......I just never tried them.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.