The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a side of the neck which the mane should be on? I am asking this because at my barn there are only 4 or 5 horses out of almost 40 that have there manes lying on the left side.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
supposedly they are supposed to be on the right side. but I don't think it even matters in shows.
I just let my horses' manes pick their own side. I've had two lefties and one righty.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
My mare is the only one out of my seven horses that has her mane on the right side.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
I agree with the right side, every horse I have owned and shown has had their mane on the right side.

But really it is what side the mane falls on naturally.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Its funny, because everything else is done on the left side. Braiding it to the right and leaving it for a few days can train a main to stay to one side.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok, thanks for the clarification everyone! I think I am going to train Sonya's mane to her right side.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've basically given up on getting Thumper's mane to just be on one side- his crazy mane is on BOTH sides, AND down the middle! I just leave it and braid it for shows on the right side.

·
Registered
5,349 Posts
It is like being right handed or left handed. There are more right handed people then left but neither is wrong. That being said some type or events of shows have what they consider to be norms. It comes down to history in some cases. It is the way it has always been done so we keep doing it. Past that there is no reason.

·
Registered
2,747 Posts
my mares mane will flop to the opposite side i brushed it too..... like everyone else said, theres really no right or wrong...

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
my horses mane lies on the left side, i leave it there unless i braid, when i braid to the right

·
Registered
5,061 Posts
My mare's mane is on the left, but the two young horses that I look after and am training, are both on the right.

·
Registered
10,624 Posts
It is like being right handed or left handed. There are more right handed people then left but neither is wrong. That being said some type or events of shows have what they consider to be norms. It comes down to history in some cases. It is the way it has always been done so we keep doing it. Past that there is no reason.
That's actually very true. I read that almost all horses are basically right handed (or hooved) The mane will fall on the dominant side. Training it to go the opposite way is like training a child to hold the pencil with the right hand when it wants to hold it with the left.
We have 2 right siders one left sider and one who goes half and half. Must be ambidextrous :lol:

1 - 20 of 41 Posts