The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What would you suggest for pulling madness? The horse's I'm going to be pulling haven't had them done for over a year. They are really long and knotty. Obviously I can't use mane and tail because it'll be really hard to pull, brushing any cob through will get stuck?

·
Registered
70 Posts
This only works depending on how thick/thin the mane is, but since my gelding has a really thin mane already, I can get away with cutting about an inch right off and then finish the look by pulling. For me, it makes it easier to find a starting point after its trimmed and to avoid making it look choppy, I cut up and down against the grain of the mane as well. Just makes it a little more manageable for me to do a good pulling job.

·
Super Moderator
15,201 Posts
I found for a really knotted and snarled mane I would start the night before actual pulling day with spraying children's no tear hair detangler in the mane and tail.
The next day I would start removing knots/snarls at the bottom and work slowly and methodically a small section at a time to the top.
Once the mane was knot/tangle free if really long I would cut, yes with a scissor, some of the length. Leaving it a few inches longer than what I wanted... then and only then would I start to pull the mane shorter and thinner as needed.
As for the tail I would do the same with spraying it, leaving it in and starting to work the next day. Depending upon the "shape" of the horses build and what I wanted to emphasize or reduce in look would depend on whether we pulled and shaped or straight cut {block} that tail...

I found a dirty mane, a few hairs at a time pulled, worked for me and the horse better than yanking a fist full of hairs at once.
I could do near the entire mane at one time by doing a few hairs each pull than have a fidgeting, upset, head-tossing in disagreement cause it hurt horse to deal with.

Remember some band-aids for those finger sores you will develop whether you use a pulling comb or just your fingers.

:wink:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.