The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are people's top tips when pulling a mane? My boy hate's his being done, so I tend to do a little at a time after exercise on warm days when his pores are open, but he fidgets and I always end up with the odd wonky bit. I don't like solo combs as always find it looks "choppy". And when I try with thinning scissors I still get it wrong! I just want a tidy short mane that doesn't look cut. I just can't seem to master it!

·
Administrator
35,687 Posts
Sometimes scissors are the only way to go - avoid cutting straight across and instead 'feather' the hair slightly - just not too much if you plait or you'll have lots of bitty pieces

·
Registered
35 Posts
I suggest taking small sections of hair when you pull. Only like a few strands. This makes it easier to pull the hair out and hurts less for the horse. I know it's not comfortable for the horse, but if you can, stick with him when he moves. Let him know its not okay to move around. When he behaves, be sure to reward him. Sorry I'm not to much help; my horse doesn't mind at all when I pull his mane, he actually sleeps. :) Good luck!

·
Super Moderator
13,675 Posts
If the mane isn't really thick but is long, do cut it shorter, {:shock:.. can't believe I wrote that!!} so not yanking that longer length...it hurts more.
Once it is shorter you can then "snap" the ends so they lose the blunt look scissors leave behind. Remember a shorter mane will also stand/pop up higher on the neck so don't go to short...
A folding thinning knife can also work to shorten but not look scissor cut...remember to always work from the underside of the mane outward so the finished look is softer and nicer.

I have also found less strands at one time the easier it is.
Grab a few strands and hold them, apply some pressure but not yank them immediately out.. wait a few seconds and the body actually feels like it releases them...no pull, no yank..no ****ed-off horse.:wink:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts