The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14hh paint mare who has a mane that lies on both sides on the neck. I've tried a lot to get it to stay on the right side but nothing seems to work.

I put her mane on the right side, braided it, and left it there for a few days, but a half-hour after I took them out, her mane was messed up again.

I tried leaving her in a stall after I put her mane on the left side, in hopes that she wouldn't roll so it wouldn't get messed up again, but the next day her mane was all tangled.

I even tried brushing it to the right and leaving on a full fleece hood, but it didn't work!

I'm really stuck and any advice would be useful.
:cowboy:
Thanks!

·
Registered
943 Posts
Does it lay on both sides all the way down the neck,,,,,or a portion of it somewhere along the length of it is flipped to the 'other ' side?

Sorry, I don't know how to fix it, but I have read/heard that a portion that goes the opposite of most of the mane is an indication that the horse is correspondingly 'out' or has some issue somewhere along the spine. It may be a minor issue that doesn't show itself in any problems other than the mane. Also, if you measure from the portion that goes opposite to the wither, then the same distance from the wither on down the back, that 'pinpoints' the problem area. I don't know how valid this is, but Sonny had a portion of mane that was flipped over and as he got more balanced and ridden more often, the amout that flipped was less, and it would stay on the same side for longer of periods of time before flipping. This may all be an 'old cowyboy's tale' , but thought I'd mention it for your consideration.

Good luck,
Fay

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
II put her mane on the right side, braided it, and left it there for a few days, but a half-hour after I took them out, her mane was messed up again.
This will work, but you have to leave it that way for months. Rebraid about every week.

You could also try a sleazy hood.

Wet the mane & put conditioner at the BASE of the mane and put the hoodie on. Repeat every week, but again, it is likely to take months.

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Does it lay on both sides all the way down the neck,,,,,or a portion of it somewhere along the length of it is flipped to the 'other ' side?

Sorry, I don't know how to fix it, but I have read/heard that a portion that goes the opposite of most of the mane is an indication that the horse is correspondingly 'out' or has some issue somewhere along the spine. It may be a minor issue that doesn't show itself in any problems other than the mane. Also, if you measure from the portion that goes opposite to the wither, then the same distance from the wither on down the back, that 'pinpoints' the problem area. I don't know how valid this is, but Sonny had a portion of mane that was flipped over and as he got more balanced and ridden more often, the amout that flipped was less, and it would stay on the same side for longer of periods of time before flipping. This may all be an 'old cowyboy's tale' , but thought I'd mention it for your consideration.

Good luck,
Fay

I think that's just an old wive's tale, like a horse with two swirls on their forehead are hellions. Correlation does not equal causation.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Ditto the braids need to stay in longer. I think the hair follicle may need some time to adjust to the new orientation of the hair. I have braided half my horses mane where he rubbed it a bit and it regrew flopping over the other side so he had hair on both sides.

I do think the mane tends to fall to the weaker side in general, and may even be affected by differences along the horses neck.

I don't think that's always the case though, sometimes it's just really think hair and it can't be controlled.

·
Super Moderator
14,681 Posts
Some horses just have cowlicks and no matter what...hair will go where it wants.
Braiding over, dippity-do or thick conditioner applied so the braids do not get itchy and they rub them out {a much bigger problem}....5 days in, 1 day out and back in...loose braids not tight like English braids the entire mane.
Mane tamer or such does help to protect those delicate manes when braided.

Some horses have double manes...some falls to one side some falls to another.
It is in some gene pools, hereditary.
It is also a trait in some breeds...
All my horses have some of their mane fall to each side if they have rolled...but the weight of the long mane holds in in place when I flip it to the natural side of hair growth.

If your horse is having terrible snarls creating this...trim the mane bottom off and the split ends creating the mess will be gone and amazingly, the mane almost never snarls or dreadlocks I've found.
This is from the person who always had the English short mane on her horses...now discovering long manes and trying to keep them clean and knot/snarl and embedded junk free. :cool:
:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

·
Registered
759 Posts
Mine was like that and I used quite a bit off hair conditioner on it and left it in. Did that several times, just kept working with it. I also think as it grew longer the extra weight of the hair helped it stay on one side. It finally all stayed on one side.

·
Registered
126 Posts
I put her mane on the right side, braided it, and left it there for a few days, but a half-hour after I took them out, her mane was messed up again.
I trained my first horses mane this way, he had one little chunk that would always flip over to the other side. I had to leave it in braids for months, I'd just re braid him every few days. Try doing it for a longer period of time and it should work!

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Braid the mane on the side you want to have it lie on. It takes time to retrain it but you will need to keep redoing the braids for the next few months. Well worth it if the main is all over the place.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.