The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone tell me if u have tried this to control bothersome heat symptoms and has it made a big difference in your mare's attitude. Two weeks she's great to work with and then after that she's a totally different animal.I would like to also know how expensive it is and if there are any negative lasting effects on the horse.I would appreciate all imput please.

·
Registered
934 Posts
Subbing, I'm interested to hear other responses.

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Curious.....

can anyone tell me if u have tried this to control bothersome heat symptoms and has it made a big difference in your mare's attitude. Two weeks she's great to work with and then after that she's a totally different animal.I would like to also know how expensive it is and if there are any negative lasting effects on the horse.I would appreciate all imput please.
I also am curious, I've had a mare now for almost 10 yrs. and I can never tell when she goes into heat..........I've heard of others that have problems but then sometimes I think it's the type of training they've had too.......

·
Registered
2,269 Posts
I have seen it done to a few mares. The mares that it works for it seems to work really well. Basically a sterile marble is inserted into the uterus. This tricks the mare into thinking she is bred so stops going into heat. The mare needs to be inserted during a heat cycle when the cervix is open. The marble lasts about 6-7 months. Than the mare will expel it and it may or may not be found again. Cost is going to depend on your vet. The risk is that the mare can get a uterine infection, much the same as a mare could get from breeding. I know one woman who swears by it for her mare when she is showing.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.