The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased this paint mare for my son, we were told she'd been running with the stud so we knew she was pregnant but not sure how far along (would've been due anywhere from January to March) I went out to drain my water hoses night before last (tuesday the 12th) being after dark I had my flashlight and as I was draining the hose saw the most heartbreaking sight.... A beautiful little foal, at this point still mostly in the placenta. I checked my mares and it was my sons mare with blood on her. I had the foal checked out the next day and she was a normal black and white filly aside from some bruising in her sternum area. Now her old owners tell me she's done this 2x before they purchased her, they had 1 foal out of her that did survive but that pregnancy was not without complications. They believe she twinned during that season as she came up at feeding time bloody as if she had foaled but never found the fetus then delivered a live healthy filly a few months later. I'm wondering if that may be the case now. When we feel her flank area, it feels like something is still kicking around in there, compared to our other mares in the flank area the "movements" feel more like our other pregnant mare and less like the mare who's open. She also still looks the part. I do have an appointment set with our regular vet but wanting everyone's opinions, the vet said since everything passed and there's no obvious trama to bring her in next week. Anyways, what do you think? Another foal or no?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
I refuse to rebreed her. We are happy with just her even though a foal from her would be wonderful, I've had miscarriages before and lost my daughter the day after birth from a full term pregnancy so I know how she must feel and can't do that to her. She's an amazing horse and nothing but a big pet that anyone can ride plus she's pretty to look at being a blue eyed black and white.

Reactions: Tryst
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.