The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have a mare, she is 5 years old, cross-breed and she is very awesome. We keep her out nearly all the time, out of reach from the stallion. Tho, last night/evening she was acting wild, rearing and running, still she didn't want to hurt me.

She really urinated a lot and there was a bit of a sticky yellow liquid on her vulva. Also, she has her head and tail a lot relaxed.

I don't know what is wrong with her, honestly. Also, months ago, the stallion broke free from his place and was in contact with the mare for some time.

Enjoy your day like its your last one

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Pregnancy signs?

1. She is frequently checking her sides, (looking at her flank).

2. She paces, shakes her head and her tail is a lot relaxed along with the head.

3. Her udder is waxy and the tips are a little wet.

4. Her belly looks dropped and a little fatter.

It would be her first time to have a foal, I don't know myself.

Few months ago, a stallion was tied outside and she broke her rope, staying free all night. She must've gone to him.:faceshot:

·
Registered
55 Posts
Sounds like she's in heat.
That is not true, I know that mare and I checked her. Her vulva, if she is n heat, is supposed to be pink, but it had yellow liquid.

I thought she was in heat but no, she would go to the stallion when Emelia was having her on a rope and she reached the stallion, that called her but she ignored him. In heat mares will usually go to stallions, and when they are pregnant they ignore them.:cool:

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Unfortunate

Unfortunately my father doesn't call the vet. Ever.

So, I am really grateful in advance for anyone who gives me a good answer.:cowboy:

·
Super Moderator
11,260 Posts
A mare's gestation period is 11 months. If she was just with the stallion a few months ago then she is no where near foaling unless she was bred 11 months ago. I agree with SilverMaple she could well be in heat. With a stallion that close her behavior could be a wild trying to get to him. All horses act differently and while there are some behaviors many exhibit not all will. One of my mares is a hussy even bred and heavy in foal. She will back up to any stallion for the entire 11 months and exhibit signs of heat (winking, squatting, peeing, squealing) her entire pregnancy. I have another mare that has silent heats and won't show even with a stallion across the fence. And many mares that are in between. Vulva may or may not change color. It sounds like you need the vet out.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I'm guessing you are a minor and have no money to call a vet yourself. That's not good. I hope the mare will be OK.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
She DOESN'T show any signs of heat (winking, squealing, squat...), she was with a stallion 10-11 months ago, also, she is a maiden mare.

I will see for few weeks (a month) myself.

I will keep you updated if the foal arrives :D

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
First she was with the stallion a few months ago, now it's 11 months? BIG DIFFERENCE. If it's 11 months, she's probably close to foaling. Mares frequently colic late in pregnancy due to the pressure on their organs from the foal, and discomfort carrying the foal. Gestation for horses is approximately 320 days, but some mares go early or late. You really need a vet.

·
Super Moderator
11,260 Posts
Just to clarifywhy we replied the way we have.

"acting wild, rearing and running" "
She really urinated a lot and there was a bit of a sticky yellow liquid on her vulva. Also, she has her head and tail a lot relaxed."

^This sounds like heat. And this (below) doesn't really clear it up because you said " a few months ago"

"Pregnancy signs? 1. She is frequently checking her sides, (looking at her flank). Could be colic.

2. She paces, shakes her head and her tail is a lot relaxed along with the head. Again, could be colic.

3. Her udder is waxy and the tips are a little wet. Could be seasonal hormonal disturbances or pregnancy.

4. Her belly looks dropped and a little fatter. Could be fat but without pictures of the actual horse no way to give an opinion.

It would be her first time to have a foal, I don't know myself.

Few months ago, a stallion was tied outside and she broke her rope, staying free all night. She must've gone to him." The bolding is mine and suggests this happened recently.

Now that you say it was 10 or 11 months then it would make sense for her to be nearing time to deliver and she is in foal. Hoping all goes well with your mare. Personally I think a stallion is not suitable for inexperienced horsepeople, especially the young. I would think your parent would have had him gelded unless your parent has extensive experience and he is overseeing this endeavor.

ETA Curiosity on my part.

Why are they tied at night?

I am also confused by this from your original post "Also, months ago, the stallion broke free from his place and was in contact with the mare for some time. " and then this "Few months ago, a stallion was tied outside and she broke her rope, staying free all night. She must've gone to him." in your second post. IMO it sounds like someone wanted them bred. I am not pointing fingers.

I have flashbacks to my mother in law telling me 1st that my colt accidentally got loose and broke through fencing to get back with his mother. (no broken fencing or signs of fence being fixed in either pasture) 2nd that someone left the gate open and he wandered in because he was lonely. ( that would mean 4 gates being left open considering the spacing between the pastures and our determination to keep them as far apart as we could) 3rd. She just wanted to see them "play". (The actual truth is she is weird like that and doesn't think of the consequences - the colt had a broken hock from a kick from the mare and the resulting foal has severe scoliosis (likely genetic as roach back runs in that line though only one of the close relations shows that tendency and it is very mild).

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.