The Horse Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned this mare for 2 months. I have recently been made aware that she has been passed from dealer to dealer. We are her 6th home in 18 months.
She has continued to gain weight (a lot) tummy has now dropped low and very large. Udders have become enlarged, swollen and lactating.
she has every symptom of late pregnancy. Soft in her back end loose tail.
vet did an ultrasound through her rectum and said no foal! Very strange anyone experienced the same?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,601 Posts
At what stage, when in her pregnancy, was the scan done?
Once the foal is large enough, it slips down into the abdomen, and the vet cannot feel it or scan it.
She sure looks to have one in there. Time will tell.

·
Registered
16,263 Posts
Well, just based on shape, it looks like she's got something in there. Like Zimalia said, time will tell. What I will say though, looking at her hip/rump area, is if there is a foal in there once she has the foal she's going to be seriously underweight. I would start rapidly increasing her plane of nutrition to make up for what she will need during lactation and feed the foal, trying to get weight on her to keep her from losing weight and getting pulled down by the foal taking all her nutrients and calories.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I have owned this mare for 2 months. I have recently been made aware that she has been passed from dealer to dealer. We are her 6th home in 18 months.
She has continued to gain weight (a lot) tummy has now dropped low and very large. Udders have become enlarged, swollen and lactating.
she has every symptom of late pregnancy. Soft in her back end loose tail.
vet did an ultrasound through her rectum and said no foal! Very strange anyone experienced the same?
Well we haven’t had an ultrasound but I have similar goings on girls was passed around I don’t know her history but I thought mine was too old. She’s getting bigger but not huge and her teats are swollen a little milk came out. Idk it’s been a struggle to get a vet. I’ve heard of them missing it before but I can’t understand how lol. Did vet give any sort of prognosis ???

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
Well, just recently, another person had the same experience. First vet said that they saw no foal. A week later the owner decided to call out a reproductive vet and they found the foal in the belly.
Honestly, she looks pregnant to me.
Do you have any pics of when you first got her two months ago?

Reactions: Knave

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
At what stage, when in her pregnancy, was the scan done?
Once the foal is large enough, it slips down into the abdomen, and the vet cannot feel it or scan it.
She sure looks to have one in there. Time will tell.
Hi

thank you so much for your comment!
she was scanned today and the way she is presenting I would say she would be at the later stages! He said he had a thorough look but I’m so confused. Her udders a larger and fuller today than they were yesterday. All the signs are there, it makes no sense. In all honesty I would prefer her not to be pregnant a lot of people I know experienced in foaling were adamant she was in foal. Really weird
Not a lot of info online about the accuracy of an ultrasound scan at a later gestation

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, just recently, another person had the same experience. First vet said that they saw no foal. A week later the owner decided to call out a reproductive vet and they found the foal in the belly.
Honestly, she looks pregnant to me.
Do you have any pics of when you first got her two months ago?
thank you so much for your comment!
here are some pictures of her 2 months ago and some more of her now! First 2 are earlier ones when we viewed her and day she came home with us

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, just based on shape, it looks like she's got something in there. Like Zimalia said, time will tell. What I will say though, looking at her hip/rump area, is if there is a foal in there once she has the foal she's going to be seriously underweight. I would start rapidly increasing her plane of nutrition to make up for what she will need during lactation and feed the foal, trying to get weight on her to keep her from losing weight and getting pulled down by the foal taking all her nutrients and calories.
thank you so much for your reply
After the vet scanned her today he said she is overweight and she needs to be fed less to shed the pounds!! She wasn’t in the best condition when we got her however, he more prominent hips/rump has developed with growing tummy. Up until a week ago when I started worrying she was in foal she was getting good exercise and always ate very well. Otherwise happy and healthy
I am very anxious about all of this she is an amazing horse I hope for her sake she isn’t but you should be able to 100% trust the vet but I was given no other explanation than her eating good grass could of caused belly and udders bagging up!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well we haven’t had an ultrasound but I have similar goings on girls was passed around I don’t know her history but I thought mine was too old. She’s getting bigger but not huge and her teats are swollen a little milk came out. Idk it’s been a struggle to get a vet. I’ve heard of them missing it before but I can’t understand how lol. Did vet give any sort of prognosis ???
hi

thank you for your reply. The only thing he said was eating good grass could cause her belly and udders bagging up! However compared the other chubby mares on the yard she carries her belly very differently

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I wouldn't just say a horse is overweight by belly. Yes, horses do get grass bellies, but that has more to do with fermenting roughage. You score a horses condition by how much meat and fat they have on their bones for example ribs, neck, topline, hips.

·
Super Moderator
15,842 Posts
I was given no other explanation than her eating good grass could of caused belly and udders bagging up!
And that can be true. Especially if there are other things she's eating that are estrogenic and causing the bag. To me this one looks like she could be. I wouldn't say 100% looks it but more so than not. There are times when US works based on where they are viewing and times it doesn't. Same for palpation. Some points it's easier to miss than others. Just keep watch and see what happens.

·
Super Moderator
17,768 Posts
No sound heard?
No heartbeat?
You've not seen a kick or limb movement?

Where are you thinking the animal is in pregnancy?

I don't have a ton of past experience but the little I did is weight truly hangs deep in the belly...at the back near the rear of the barrel, and a noticeable large flaring on the ribs/barrel..
A slight increase in teat size but true bagging up didn't happen till less than 72 hours, and more I saw was within 36 - 48 hours before birth...
There was a slight film covering the teat, some called it waxing.... I can only tell you the teats were sensitive and I nearly lost my kneecaps with a vicious kick when I was a bit to rough with her highness. :oops:
We also had a personality change, a restlessness was apparent...not much different than a human a few days prior to delivery...

I don't know this one, but know from my own experience being pregnant, at end of my pregnancy I had to go to the bathroom more often... Is that true with horses too from pressure and excess weight sitting on the organs and guts?
Not sure it if comparison of a human pregnancy symptoms to a equine is fair or equitable...:unsure:
🐴.....

·
Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,601 Posts
It usually take between 6 and 8 weeks for a mare to fully bag up. I have only seen one mare in over 40 years of breeding and foaling mares, that waited till late to bag up. Typically, they have a very full, very tight bag when they are ready for the birth. I have seen mares that will literally rival a holstein.
Waxing is an extremely poor way of predicting an impending birth. Mares will wax several times before the actual event. What I can tell you is watch the udder. It will continue to fill, and will eventually flatten out between the teats before the birth. Mares are a good deal like cattle, when a cow calves, she does not want you messing with her udder, mares are the same. They are swollen and very tender. But that's all nature's plan to keep the newborn calf or foal, from getting too much at one time. Fastest way to kill a bottle calf is over feed it.

Just keep an eye on this mare. Her udder will tell you everything you need to know. Watch and see if it continues to develop and fill.

Reactions: knightrider

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama
1,194 Posts
I have had only a few bred mares in my life-time, and the way this mares belly looks it looks like theres a bun in the oven, I have always noticed when my mares did start to bag up the milk line got really strong under their belly and their bags were a bit warmer to the touch (Very gentle/soft touch) cause I know the teats gets very tender as the days gos by before foaling. So does this mare have a milk line thats formed under her belly?
Or could this be a older brood-mare and her belly is just out of shape from having babys and got bigger with the grass shes getting now? How old is this mare?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I have had only a few bred mares in my life-time, and the way this mares belly looks it looks like theres a bun in the oven, I have always noticed when my mares did start to bag up the milk line got really strong under their belly and their bags were a bit warmer to the touch (Very gentle/soft touch) cause I know the teats gets very tender as the days gos by before foaling. So does this mare have a milk line thats formed under her belly?
Or could this be a older brood-mare and her belly is just out of shape from having babys and got bigger with the grass shes getting now? How old is this mare?
she is 16 yo, had a lot of people experienced with mares in foal and adamant she is pregnant.
I do really hope she is not but all the signs even movement in her flank are there. I would be very surprised if the vet missed a foal during the scan how is that possible? Vet did confirm that she has foaled before as there is scaring from her stitched back up!
thanks so much for your comment 😊

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
she is 16 yo, had a lot of people experienced with mares in foal and adamant she is pregnant.
I do really hope she is not but all the signs even movement in her flank are there. I would be very surprised if the vet missed a foal during the scan how is that possible? Vet did confirm that she has foaled before as there is scaring from her stitched back up!
udders are more swollen today also 🤦🏻‍♀️

·
Premium Member
Retired breeder
2,601 Posts
"Stitched" back up is a caslick. It's usually done in race mares to prevent them from sucking air as that can abort a foal.

If she was not checked in time, gravity prevails and the foal gets large enough to slip into the abdomen, farther than a vet can reach. Its not unusual.
Just give her time. If she is, you'll know soon enough,

·
Super Moderator
17,768 Posts
She's big but she isn't huge, yet...
She to my minimally experienced eyes is heading to a baby born, but don't think based on what others are saying, is not in a day or so but maybe within a month...
All the pregnant girls I had contact with developed what I called beached whale look of wide and very uncomfortable in movement..
I used to watch really close as they went through stall doors they not hit either side some of them seemed so wide and so strange a walk they had with their hind legs.. :eek:
I ached for them having to carry their enormous load yet...
🐴...

·
Registered
41 Posts
She's big but she isn't huge, yet...
She to my minimally experienced eyes is heading to a baby born, but don't think based on what others are saying, is not in a day or so but maybe within a month...
All the pregnant girls I had contact with developed what I called beached whale look of wide and very uncomfortable in movement..
I used to watch really close as they went through stall doors they not hit either side some of them seemed so wide and so strange a walk they had with their hind legs.. :eek:
I ached for them having to carry their enormous load yet...
🐴...
Please keep us posted on what the prognosis is with your mare. If she ends up being pregnant or what. Thank you

1 - 20 of 20 Posts