The Horse Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I was letting my mare graze around the barn while I mucked her stall. I let her do this often since theres nothing dangerous around there for her to get hurt on(but of course she found a way). She was eating some grass and put her head right under the board in the fince, I didn't panic because I knew she could just back up and pull her head out. When she went to lift her head she banged her poll hard on the board and trotted off. I wouldn't have expected that but it's my fault regardless for letting her out. Should I be worried? She's acting totally normal today, is there a high chance that she's now out at the poll?

·
Registered
14,679 Posts
She probably is. If she hurts herself on common sense things like this, who knows what she has done when you don't see her. I would get her adjusted and a massage. Or you can leave her, your choice.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
As long as she's acting normal I'd just count it as a smart bump (something you hope they learned a lesson from).

·
Super Moderator
14,767 Posts
Bet she has done that before many times not seen or heard...
Acting normally...no adverse anything?
Just leave her alone...

Watch, observe...if a change then call for the adjuster, otherwise just another bump but this time you saw.
I do not bubble wrap my horses. :|
I have competitive/competition trail horses now...they get bumps and scrapes on the trails occasionally...
I don't invest in bubble-wrap nor treat them as wilting flowers...
Watch them, react if needed/necessary... :wink:
:runninghorse2:...
jmo...

·
Registered
311 Posts
I don't think there's any reason to worry. I was using my mare's stall as a way to practice 'sending' (intro to trailer loading). I went to back her out of the stall one time, and she must've thought that she was exiting a real trailer...she sat back as if the ground was going to fall away outside of the stall, up went her head...and she banged her poll pretty hard on the top of the doorframe. Then she proceeded to back up and nearly sit on the fence behind her. Of course it didn't feel very good, but she was okay. Just another day in the life. I gave her a nice massage.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Consider this. Have you ever been working under a counter or cabinet and raised your head hitting it on the bottom side of the counter or cabinet? Did anything bad happen as a result of this incident other than temporary minor discomfort? Remember, horses a generally tougher than we are.

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
My mare knocks something on a daily basis hah. When we moved to old yard she'd bang her head on the water drinker several times a day. I was more worried about the drinker at that rate! If your mare was stationary and merely lifted her head wouldn't worry. It's the blind-running, panic-induced strength that I worry about.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
She'll be fine not a huge deal. My gelding reared an fell over backwards hit his poll and he's fine. If they act normal then I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
17,314 Posts
My mare has hit her head & her nose on things a few times, (we even bumped heads before, OUCH!) & she bounces right back from it...never does it again. :lol: I wouldn't worry too much, but make sure she can move ok, may need an adjustment if anything.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts