The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm going to have to ask probably a stupid question. We just took a rescue mare and her colt in. the colt is about 18 months. I noticed a bloody discharge from the mare, actually has some streaks on her legs. Oh, yes she is about 200 lbs or so underweight. She was moved twice yesterday, two different trailers, 2 different pastures, etc. Could she be in heat with this much discharge, or could the stress of the day have something to do with it? Any and all answers are greatly appreciated. P.S. I have a vet visit scheduled for the am for both of them. Thanks

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
some mares bleed when they are in heat, or it could be colitis/GI issue- is she having diarrhea as well? This is definitely a vet question so I'm glad you have a visit planned for the morning. Good for you for taking these two in- when do you plan to geld the colt? He is probably ready now if he is able to be handled enough to get him layed down.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, once again, probably going to sound stupid, but supposedly he is 18 months. Neither I nor my son can feel an thing.Maybe he's been done, maybe they havent dropped?? The people who "gave" them up to the horse rfesuce, were not very informational. Of course, they told the resue the horses were in great shape, they just couldnt nafford to keep them any longer.WRONG!! They didnt even tell us thier names, let alone a health . history Our heart was probaly bigger than our eyes, but we are commited to do all we can to take care of these two.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
It is pretty important for you to find out whether he is cryptorchid or has already been cut. There is a simple blood test you can do to determine this, make sure you ask the vet about it when she comes out! She'll also be able to look at his teeth and get you a more accurate estimate on age. The last thing you want is for your mare to get bred by her own son- ACK!

I know how it goes when you lead with your heart instead of your head. Sometimes it works out for the best, I got totally caught up in emotion when I rescued my guy, but it has ended up the most wonderful decision I ever made in my entire life!

P.S. you don't sound stupid at all- you're not afraid to ask for information, having a vet come out to make sure you're taking care of their health, I think you sound wonderful!

·
Registered
569 Posts
Def a good idea to have the vet out. and you sound concerned not stupid lol you did a good thing.

As for mares in heat...some discharge a milky white color (my friends mare) some its clearish (my mare) some bleed (like the annoying mare at work who trashes her stall). So it depends on the mare. Another sign of her being in heat would be her acting 'mare-ish' but if shes in bad shape like you said she might not have it in her to throw you an attitude.

As for the colt...you def need to see if he is cut or not. Not surprise in-bred babies lol

Good luck with the two!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.