The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
yes blankets help if they are fitted right. can be hazards if not.

but i think your bigger problem is nutrition. poor quality hay doesn't cut it for winter time. she is not getting basic nutrition needs met, and the cold is using up what she does get. it's good that you are adding alfalfa pellets, but she needs more. feeding the pellets AND a complete senior feed will help a lot. she will need lots of it. it's complete, meaning it includes fine chopped hay, so the volume you feed is greater. probably similar to what Appyt said above. you can feed 12# a day, but work up to it. don't feed a lot at first.

also if the others are not wormed, you need to be worming her every single month and rotate types of wormer. otherwise you are only feeding the worms, and they aren't worth the price of feed!!

just some thoughts that might help you. and how good a shelter does she have from wind and wet? that makes a huge difference in how much body reserves they burn up to stay warm.

·
Registered
100 Posts
sounds like good shelter. they huddle for warmth too.

you can buy very inexpensive wormers. often ivermic is only about 3 or 4 $. occasionally give the other (safeguard or something like it).

i understand the hay you have no choice on. didn't mean to sound critical., just trying to list the facts. i totally understand you are trying to do your best for her within the framework you have, and kudos to you for asking and seeking the best for her. too many people wouldn't care so much. i am so glad you do.

alfalfa pellets are a great way to improve overall roughage quality. so you could try just feeding more, but that won't address the vitamin/mineral shortages as well as a senior feed will. but it will help.

you can ask your feed store what they have for a complete feed, like a senior feed. i am not familiar with that brand. i did google them. don't see senior feed, but you should ask. and i did found one complete feed:
HORSE NUGGETS
The "original" low-starch horse feed.
High Alfalfa Based Product.
The choice of Boarding Barns for years because it is so safe to feed.
Horse Nuggets is a complete feed for maintenance of pleasure horses or horses with heaves.
A 12% protein "all-in-one" pelleted feed which can be fed with or without hay or pasture.

hope that helps.

·
Registered
100 Posts
maybe call the store owner and see what she suggests. then you can write it down and when you go in there, you can get the right stuff. that way if she isn't there when you go, you will be ok.

i work in a feed store. there are too many opinions and everyone thinks they know everything. so call the owner and see what brands they carry and what would be best for your horse. you don'[t have to spend tons to get a good feed, but the cheapest feeds are usually throwing your money away.

maybe you can buy just a few bales of alfalfa and throw some to your horses when you are there to make sure they get to eat it. if that's too hard, alfalfa pellets are helpful

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.