The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Britt,
I would tend to disagree with blanketing her. Horses use the muscles under the skin to raise and lower the hairs of the coat. If you blanket her, the hair is trapped against her body, and she can't control her temperature. If the blanket gets soaked, she will become very cold. Blankets can create a wonderful place for the growth of rainrot and ringworm. Provide shelter from the wind, and brush out her coat.

I agree with JB44. I would start with better nutrition, and better quality fiber. Can you get beet pulp? Without molasses is better. I soak the beet pulp in hot water, and take it out warm to the horses. I also provide warm water (not just thawed, but 60-80 degrees) to drink in the winter. These two things work well for my geriatric gelding.

The fermentation of fiber is what keeps the horses warm. Both hay and beet pulp fall into this category. Many times senior feed is mainly beet pulp. I would use the available funds to purchase better hay/beet pulp for her. Worm, and check her teeth. It is good that you recognize that there is a problem, and are trying to get help with it, and correct it.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.