The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of our mares has a naturally sour disposition. I’ve had her for over a year now, long enough to notice that the worst of her tantrums seem to coincide with her heat cycles.
I’m considering trying a magnesium supplement like Mare Magic to see if things can be evened out.
My question is; are there any other magnesium supplements that might be better than Mare Magic?

for reference, we are in the Philippines. No raspberry bushes around. Anything we get will have to be shipped from overseas.

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
There are several magnesium products on the market. Some absorb better than others. You are looking for magnesium malate. Not sure what is available to you. Mare Magic only guarantees the amount of raspberry leaf not magnesium contained from last I read the label. It also doesn't give the form.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There are several magnesium products on the market. Some absorb better than others. You are looking for magnesium malate. Not sure what is available to you. Mare Magic only guarantees the amount of raspberry leaf not magnesium contained from last I read the label. It also doesn't give the form.
Thanks @WtrBel. Any recommendations on which products maybe absorb better?

I know of nothing available here. Anything I get will have to be ordered on line, delivered to a stateside relative, and shipped here with other stuff we order.
Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,635 Posts
Remission has a high amount of Magnesium if you want to look it up and see the ingredients most on-line sellers have it

·
Super Moderator
12,636 Posts
This company has magnesium supplements that would work and here is a link to an article that explains the why and how.

I've fed organically grown raspberry leaves purchased through Frontier Herbs bought in bulk and top dressed. Cheaper than Mare Magic if you go that route. Others will stop in with what they have used as now there are many targeted supplements on the market.

·
Administrator
36,132 Posts
If you want to use magnesium to help with hormonal mares you need a supplement that's got a guaranteed analysis, which the herbal products tend not to provide.

I was able to stop giving Regumate to the two mares that I have, that had different challenging problems when in heat, by giving them a daily magnesium supplement. If I take them off it for a while they soon return to their problematic behaviour.

This is what I use, You can shop around for best deals - I usually order through Amazon for free delivery
Magnesium 5,000 (smartpakequine.com)

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I guess this is why most cowboys prefer geldings....

Most of the 14 horse I have had in my life have been mares, plus 4 stallions. I never noticed any difference when they were in heat. I guess I was just lucky or else clueless.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just bought 1 pound of raspberry leaf from Amazon for $12. That's enough for 18 doses. I don't know how much it would cost you there but it's much less expensive than mare magic and it's basically the same thing. I haven't tried it yet but I have noticed my mare seems to have definite periods of being more witchy. Sometimes she is as sweet as sugar and other times she's like a hormonal teenage girl. Of course she got over her witchy spell between when I ordered the raspberry leaves and when they got here so I haven't had a chance to try them out yet.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I guess this is why most cowboys prefer geldings....

Most of the 14 horse I have had in my life have been mares, plus 4 stallions. I never noticed any difference when they were in heat. I guess I was just lucky or else clueless.
Without really planning it that way, I’ve ridden mostly mares. I suspect that mares in regular work tend to be less troublesome than some only used occasionally by recreational riders.

So much so, that I never bought into the evil mare stories until I got this horse. She was about 12 when I got her. I suspect that her problem is a combination of learned behavior and hormones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts