The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good Morning, I am on another thread about my mare, Shine and Spin, having a baby, but I wanted to start a thread about monitoring equipment. I would love the foalert equipment, but I probably am not going to be breeding much more then this time and it seems cost prohibitive. I heard that you can rent them, but my vet practice doesn't and I haven't found another that does rent them.

I would love suggestions. My farrier suggested the kind you put on the halter. I was thinking of video equipment, but that is super expensive too. As you all know...this breeding thing is VERY EXPENSIVE.

:cowboy:

Attachments

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I also have a mare that is expecting between the end of April to the end of May. I have researched this stuff to death and with all of the signs and symptoms, it all boils down to mares do what they want, and they do it differently every time just to keep you on your toes.
Like you, I am only breeding this one time so am not going to invest in the expensive foal alert systems. It seems to me that the type that attaches to the halter would have you running out there a million times for false alarms. I can do that on my own without an alarm.

My plan of action is to keep a close eye on her for starters. I do have a knack for seeing and feeling subtle changes and I know my mare very well so I have that going for me. I also plan to test her milk for hardness and ph changes. From what I've read, they are reasonably reliable. You can find a lot of information about this online.

Good luck with you mare and foal, she's beautiful.
I'm sure everything will work out just fine, you'll probably only get a few extra grey hairs.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Get one of these foal predictor test kits, they've never failed me. Easy to use.

https://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.html?pgguid=f2109a1c-9a72-455f-a4ef-4b4218aa1575&sfb=1&itemguid=6b3ee647-7e9c-4f76-a191-6b34c2a4f80d&utm_content=37744&ccd=IFH003&mr:trackingCode=044FE364-3C81-E211-BA78-001B21631C34&mr:referralID=NA&mr:device=m&mr:adType=plaonline&mr:ad=43741604563&mr:keyword=&mr:match=&mr:tid=pla-84507090763&mr:ploc=9009828&mr:iloc=&mr:store=&mr:filter=84507090763&gclid=CjwKEAiA58a1BRDw6Jan_PLapw8SJABJz-ZW-R6fqFyuS5nDZyu0vTAJGLz3jBx_Gpi82LALXsmOWBoCbn7w_wcB
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,325 Posts
I used to camp at the barn and check on them about every 30 minutes. It was fun the first couple of nights, not so fun when a mare goes almost a month overdue.
That's why I'm hoping that the foal predictor testing kit will help me. I want to take vacation from the time the foal is born so I'm trying to time it right. LOL Maiden mare probably won't give me any milk.

Reactions: KigerQueen

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
I bought a couple of these: ADS-100 - Mini Day/Night Surveillance Camera

And I watch from inside the house. I watch TV or a movie and flip back and forth from the stall view to TV. LOVE these! I also use the Foal Predictor strips but only when I think she's about to drop any second. You can milk some mares and they'll stream and if they aren't ready to foal they'll lose all the colostrum and that can be a costly disaster.

·
Registered
263 Posts
I have a mare due mid march and I plan to take her to the vet to foal. I am VERY lucky as the cost is only $25 per day and it includes foalert as well as video surveillance. I don't have a warm barn and I travel full time so its a double scare for me.

lol PLUS my daughter is due with my first grandchild at the same time and is worried that I will be with the horse instead of her.

·
Registered
14,281 Posts
lol PLUS my daughter is due with my first grandchild at the same time and is worried that I will be with the horse instead of her.
HAH! Keep 'em humble! At least make her THINK you'd be with the horse instead of her. I mean, after all, she's got an OB doc and L&D hot & cold running nurses, right? :wink:

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks so much everyone. I am so freaking excited. I want to foal my mare at my farm~part of this is the experience. Luckily I have a nicely bred mare to breed. I am been watching all the videos. It seems like it comes pretty quickly once they start delivering.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The foal predictor things are great but very expensive.

Ive installed a CCTV in the stable so its going to show me whats happening at all times. If i feel the mare is foaling i will be at the stable.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.