The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
Geldings. You don't have the "It's a mare thing" or "that's just what mares do" excuse. Out of all the horses I've had I've like geldings the best.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
i love mares. And will always have one, i dont like geldings. Mares are normally cleaner in a stall to. And every mare i have ever owned or been around is not ****y. I think alot of it, is a person just happens to be around one mare that acts a little ****y then they just say "o all mare are like that bla bla bla" it aint geldings that make geldings its mare and studs wiht out them you wouldnt have your "precious" geldings. Mares tend to be love bugs more often than geldings (just my observation dont everyone get all ****y on me). I have also been raised (sorta kinda, maybe a little) around the reining world and one of there major things is breeding, my aunt raises rein/cow horses and she loves the mares, if its a boy she sells it right off the bat (she doesnt want to deal with a stud either). So all in all i LOVE THE MARES!!! woooo, go mares!!!!

·
Registered
362 Posts
gelding's,gelding's,gelding's!!!!! I will never own a mare. i see what my friend's and my sister went though with'em and no thanks!!! my sister sold her mare beacuse of the stuff she did whille in heat!! but some are better then other's so i dont speek for all mare's!!

·
Registered
2,076 Posts
Geldings all the way! I have my own ****iness to deal with, I don't need a mare to add to that,lol. I've met some great mares, but in my experience, they are ****ier much more often then geldings

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Though I wouldn't turn down a good horse of any sex, I prefer geldings. Even though some mares don't act bad when they are in heat, you always have to be uber careful around everyone else just in case some idiot is riding a stud that they can't control. All the mares I have ever ridden, we just didn't click so I really prefer a gelding that is consistent in their moods.

You know the old saying:
"You can tell a gelding and ask a mare. But you must discuss it with a stallion."

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I love mares. I've met a few geldings that I adore but I ditto what brighteyes said, I like the willfullness mares have. I love how Lacey doesn't just take what I tell her to do and do it, she wants to know why it's a good idea. She forces me to be a better rider because she's not going to obey me if I don't show her that I'm worth obeying.
I also feel like mares get more attached to people. I've certainly met geldings that are deeply attached to their person but there's a certain level of adoration a mare has for her person that I've just never seen from a gelding.

·
Registered
925 Posts
^ True that. :) Exactly what I would say, except I would make it sound stupid. :D Mares for me, but I have to admit, I do like all horses. My first horse, and my only horse for now is a mare, and my bond with her is different then any bond I've had with other horses.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Geldings. I've been around/ridden some GREAT mares, and if the horse was perfect for me in every other way I wouldn't pass just because it was a mare. But in general I prefer geldings. I've just never really clicked with a mare like I have with geldings. Maybe I just haven't met the right one.

·
Registered
2,717 Posts
Mares for me! I've never one I didn't like. :D

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i have one of each ! but my gelding has a total pony additude [he is just barely horse sized !] so people always say i like mares & ponies haha which is so true.

i loveee mares ! & if they get hurt you can always breed them

·
Registered
777 Posts
I love horses not the gender. I have met both mares and geldings that I LOVE! And then I have also met mares and geldings that just didn't click with me. Before I bought my old mare I swore I would never own one but after I got her (and I kept her for 9 years), and I am now with a gelding and stud colt (he hadn't "dropped" yet but will be a gelding lol). Anyway my point is I have met both that I love and both I dislike so I base all my descions on the horse not it's gender :)

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
A horse is what you make of it. Mare, gelding or stallion a horse will act how you allow them to act. I have a stallion that acts like a gelding even around mares in heat and I have never had a mare that acted different when she was in heat.

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
A horse is what you make of it. Mare, gelding or stallion a horse will act how you allow them to act. I have a stallion that acts like a gelding even around mares in heat and I have never had a mare that acted different when she was in heat.
lucky you ! when my sis got her mare i couldnt ride my gelding with her bc when she was in heat the mare would run backwards at my boy & try to get him to mount her....nipped that one in the bud really quick !

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Either or. I own both a mare and a gelding. My mare is an awesome horse and we get along great, though she doesn't really care if she's left alone for a long period of time. My gelding is a great horse and is very, very affectionate, and thinks it's your job to pet him whenever you're in the pasture.

I'll own both, though I have found mares to be a little more stubborn more often, but when a gelding decides to get stubborn... whoo-boy whatta battle of wills... Lol.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for all the responses. I go back and forth on that question myself. If everything works out I'll be in a position to buy my first horse in 3 or 4 months (I wish it were sooner, but the delay is due to circumstances out of my control :?).

I expect I'll look at both, I wouldn't want to miss out on a good horse by being biased :wink:.

On a more practical note, which is worse - cleaning a gelding's sheath every six months or so, or cleaning a mare every week.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
I love mares. I've met a few geldings that I adore but I ditto what brighteyes said, I like the willfullness mares have. I love how Lacey doesn't just take what I tell her to do and do it, she wants to know why it's a good idea. She forces me to be a better rider because she's not going to obey me if I don't show her that I'm worth obeying.
I also feel like mares get more attached to people. I've certainly met geldings that are deeply attached to their person but there's a certain level of adoration a mare has for her person that I've just never seen from a gelding.
Ditto.
I've owned both mares and geldings, but I've always felt a better connection with the mares.

·
Registered
434 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i loveee mares ! & if they get hurt you can always breed them
So, since I have neither the experience, knowledge, nor inclination to breed a horse, I'd do just as well with a gelding then :wink:.

1 - 20 of 63 Posts