The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So if its not one thing I don't know how to fix, it's another.

Maybe if I had more misbehaving horses I would know more about these issues, but alas I have been lucky enough to not have many horses like this until I started leasing Bailey.

Well, this mare is a major ding-dong. She's a blast to ride and super talented but definately not all there in the head, you know?

Anddd she pulls back. Bad. This isn't just a sitting back and then jumping back up again. This is a fly backwards, rear up, panic, slam herself into the trailer walls until she finally lunges right back ONTOP of me.

We have quick release ties in the trailer. But the last time she did it I kind of panicked and couldn't keep a cool head, I never saw it coming and it scared me. I'm sure the next time I'll be able to get her released...But that time, yeah....:oops:

If anyone has some ideas that would be great. She's not spooking at anything I can see, she's just really anxious to get out of the trailer.Particularly when we unload a second horse first. Whenever I let my other horse out she got VERY upset. Herd sour plus anxiety plus a naturally distracte and ding-dongy horse....Not a good combination.

And yes, this is the same mare who used to pull back on me when I took the bridle off. We solved that problem and I can now take the bit off loosely without holding her head, no problem. I've been trying to just make her stand patiently and make the trailer a happy place to be, but it hasn't really effected her attitude at all.

Help would be greatly appreciated...

·
Registered
49,436 Posts
I will be interested to hear what sort of advice you get. I know little about trailering.

Does she load without issue? Or does she load with resistance and suspicion? When you load her, do you practice backing her out , then sending her in, then backing her out to work on getting her comfortable with the idea that she can come out with ease?

Is it necessary to tie her? Is this a slant load? Hae you thought about putting her in and having her turn around and ride backward? (if slant load and room available)

Does she come off the rope in all other ways when you lead her.? I mean, if you walk forward, does she move forward with a loose leadline or hit the end of it, then get heavy and drag.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will be interested to hear what sort of advice you get. I know little about trailering.

Does she load without issue? Or does she load with resistance and suspicion? When you load her, do you practice backing her out , then sending her in, then backing her out to work on getting her comfortable with the idea that she can come out with ease?

She walks right into the trailer, no problem. I haven't tried walking in and backing out....But thats a good idea that I could try.

Is it necessary to tie her? Is this a slant load? Hae you thought about putting her in and having her turn around and ride backward? (if slant load and room available)

She's the type that would stick her head right down on the ground and get stuck under the divider....I'm much more terrified of that than her pulling back. Thats the only reason I tie her. I don't tie my older horses. It is a four horse stock trailer, I can put her in slant ways if I wanted but its designed as a straight load. Hauling backwards isn't a bad idea either....Definately going to think about that one.

Does she come off the rope in all other ways when you lead her.? I mean, if you walk forward, does she move forward with a loose leadline or hit the end of it, then get heavy and drag.

Most of the time she walks really nicely but sometimes she does lean on me some. I've been working on popping her back up so she won't have a lead to lean on.
Answers in bold....Thanks!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I think sometimes the best solution is the nonconflicting one. If she gets worked up when the other horses are unloaded first. unload her first. My mare has been too eager before and run out fast, then fallen. I felt terrible. I just make sure she gets out first. I get her untied first, and I distract with a cookie to get her focusing on me so she can back out as calmly as possible. Im sure there are many more effective ways of getting her to back out calmly. Trailering isnt my strong suite. and i like the loading her backwards idea. If she goes right in without a problem its a matter of practice, and getting her to respect your space, and you so that in a situation like this she can calm down and listen to you. I would maybe try some ground work in that are and also u can try some exercises with the trailer there are allot of different ones ive seen in magazines and internet articles that are supposed to be really effective although i havent had a big problem with trailers before. Good luck im sure there are more solutions that i dont know about Im interested to see what can be done aswell!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.