The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Whenever I try to tie up my mare she flips out she has even broken a tree before. I DID NOT CAUSE THIS. The second day I had her I tied her up and she freaked out. I have tried everything to get her to tie up. I have had other horses stand next to her when I'm trying to give her I have given her treats and I have tried looping a lunge rope through the tie ring and holding one end. Nothing is working please help.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Have a halter and lead rope on her. Have her stand away from you or back away from you. Lightly pull on the lead rope to make contact. Hold the pressure steady until she takes a step toward you. This is teaching her to find release from pressure on the pole of her head by moving toward the pressure. Then keep practicing. If she pulls back, don't pull harder. Just hold pressure steady and move with her.

When she gets good at stepping forward instead of pulling, then you can start teaching to tie. Start like you did with looping the rope around the pole or through the ring but don't tie yet.

Let her get to feel the contact and pressure of being tied. If she pulls back, try to hold steady pressure again but let the rope slip if needed. With practice, she will learn that she doesn't need to pull back.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reactions: CowboyBob

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
Whenever I try to tie up my mare she flips out she has even broken a tree before. I DID NOT CAUSE THIS. The second day I had her I tied her up and she freaked out. I have tried everything to get her to tie up. I have had other horses stand next to her when I'm trying to give her I have given her treats and I have tried looping a lunge rope through the tie ring and holding one end. Nothing is working please help.
And you had a post on this same problem back on december 29th in training section. Got a lot of advice then.

·
Banned
1,653 Posts
seriously sounds like you might be part of the problem mares got your number. There is no fast fix for tieing issues it called working with them daily.

Think this is same horse your trying to train for barrels and also having issues on that. I dout your skills for training in 2 weeks time some progress should of been made.

·
Registered
7,141 Posts
OP-I am going to be blunt. You post numerous threads about this poor mare, starting with some as early as the summer of 2012-I am guessing it is the same mare, and even if it is not, at that time you were having issues with your barrel pattern and getting your mare to do anything. You got some really good advice, and your responses to the help-well-you were really rude. You dismissed the suggestions, at one point, even telling someone who had taken the time to post nearly a full page response to you on one of your threads-to "mind their own business."

At this point, I think you are looking for someone who will give you an easy answer. Well-guess what. TO have a well trained horse takes WORK. It takes consistency and it takes you having a mind that is open to learn. I know you are a teenager, and you think you have been riding forever and are the "bees knees", but we all can stand to learn. Noone has a magic wand to fix your mare. Noone else, unless you pay a trainer, which you seem to be unable or unwilling to find because you basically want it for nothing, will do your work for you.
I know you will not like this, but I felt I needed to be honest with you.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
How much experience a person has is relative to who they learned from and how willing they are to learn.

If this horse is doing this, then you need to accept that you don't know what you are doing, and find someone to learn from that is a good horseman, that is willing to help you.

Although, if you have the same attitude in person that you have had with the members that have tried to help you?

You may have trouble finding anyone that wants to put up with you.

I would suspect as much as anything, your handling of this horse is the problem.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I don't very often tie my horses. I have taught them to ground tie and there is usually no need to tie them. That's not saying I would ground tie them next to a freeway but they will usually stand without moving for as long as I need them to. Most horses will tie better after being taught to ground tie. It's like teaching a dog to sit and stay. Use a 20 foot long lead. command your horse to stand, give a light tap on the lead, back away 10 feet and wait for the horse to move a step. Reprimand him with voice and a couple of heavier taps with the lead. Put him back in the same spot and tell him to stand. After he gets it move around to his side and repeat the process. Move back further. Go hide behind his tail. I can teach a horse to ground tie in about twenty minutes. When he doesn't move encourage him. Jump up and down and do jumping jacks. You will be able to saddle your horse, clean his feet, do just about anything without tying him. Sitting back on the lead when tied is a dangerous vice. The horse can knock you down and trample you or if your hand is caught in the lead you are going to lose some fingers. A horse that is confirmed to sitting back when tied will never be trustworthy to be tied. It may go a year without doing it and then bam! It's an ugly habit.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.