The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 8 yo Arab/BW for 6 months now. She was on a hormonal supplement and was fine but they stopped producing it so we had to move her to another brand. But this supplement isn't working and she is starting to get extremely aggressive.

She used to be really easy to catch in the field but has now started becoming extremely aggressive to anyone going into her field, even if they are not catching her. She tried to charge me this morning and almost kicked someone else a week ago. She's also just become the dominant mare in the field because one of the other mares left.

She's also shown a big dislike to grooming and broke 2 of my fingers the other month when I was trying to groom her legs. She had mud fever a couple of weeks ago and doesn't like me touching her legs and will kick out if I groom her.

I am England based so if anyone has any good suggestions for hormonal supplement?

I just need help with her before she ends up seriously injuring someone. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
24,112 Posts
As to the grooming legs & mud fever, that could be quite painful, so she was telling you so. If she's generally more sensitive, magnesium deficiency is a common reason for that - & it's in a lot of 'calming supps' & it aids muscle relaxation - Mg deficiency can be the reason for cramps & ticks. Raspberry leaves are commonly in 'moody mare' supps & are high in Mg.

BUT I wouldn't mess around, esp if this prob has been ongoing for some time & not resolved. I wouldn't think it's likely 'just hormones' without any cause, but that there's perhaps a cyst or some other prob causing her pain, which she is cranky & defensively aggressive about. I'd be calling the vet if she were mine. Recently saw an ovarian cyst removed from a mare that was bigger than the vet's head!!

·
Registered
1,948 Posts
I feel something else is going on here as well, with loosie on this. My mare is dominant mare in field and she is an absolute gentle lady around people and knows not to start fights around us much less show any aggression. I think your girl is hurting. She could have cramps as above or even an ovarian cyst can't really know unless investigated and its really worth it. Us human ladies can have real issues and mares are no different from stallions - they've got everything and if it's not working right... stress can lead to ulcers. So if she has pain somewhere AND ulcers.. sheesh AND mudfever... I'd be under the weather too.

I ordered hay and grass analysis. Turns out my area is high on magnesium but that's coz the farmer manages this way to breed his cows. Usually they are deficient BUT the field is overgrazed so is my mare reallllly getting enough? What a headache to get into but very well worth the effort to know I've got my bases covered. Something to think about as well so you know if you're missing any major deficiencies.

Yes she could be stressed about herd hierarchy etc but we have had a lot of changes to our mixed herd of 17 including loss. They were angry with each other and upset but never at humans or territorial towards any of us. I still think something else is going on.

Hopefully you get it worked out. It might just be cheaper to check her lady parts and for deficiencies straight up than try quick fixes that end up extending the ordeal and leading to proper examination anyway. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
I think a veterinary appointment would be a good idea. I am also wondering about an ovarian cyst.

·
Registered
3,017 Posts
I'm wondering if this is behavioral - she is acting like an aggressive alpha mare and expecting people to get out of her way. Charging at you says "get out of my field!"

In my opinion she sounds like she needs training and a firm but fair hand. She is telling you how she wants you to behave and expecting you to obey her.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts