The Horse Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, everyone. I have an issue. When my mare walks, she turns out her left hind. She does this a lot and it worries me. I do know a lot about horses, but this problem I do not know of. Could anybody assume what’s going on? Please help!

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have additional questions: Does she stand square? Does she turn out the left hind through all other gaits? Have you stood behind her and watched her pelvis as she walks to see if shes level and equal on both sides?

From a biomechanical perspective it could be a number of things - she could have weakness in her hip on the left side, she could need an adjustment from a chiropractor, she could have Sacroiliac Joint impingement or abnormalities due to muscular weakness, previous muscular injury (skid and fall or slip in mud). Sorry for all my inquiries - it could also just be that's her normal gait cycle or movement pattern at the walk.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have additional questions: Does she stand square? Does she turn out the left hind through all other gaits? Have you stood behind her and watched her pelvis as she walks to see if shes level and equal on both sides?

From a biomechanical perspective it could be a number of things - she could have weakness in her hip on the left side, she could need an adjustment from a chiropractor, she could have Sacroiliac Joint impingement or abnormalities due to muscular weakness, previous muscular injury (skid and fall or slip in mud). Sorry for all my inquiries - it could also just be that's her normal gait cycle or movement pattern at the walk.
You’re fine! Yes, I have gotten her chiropracterred and it hasn’t worked.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
What else besides 'having her chiropractored' have you done to try to find out what the prob & fix it? And yeah, chiro's aren't the answer to everything, so maybe that's not the 'fix' she needs, but keep in mind a) when there are problems, one single chiro adjustment(or whatever other bodywork) doesn't usually just 'work' - might take a number of them. And b) there are many different 'modalities' of chiropractic that different practitioners use, and c) also the horse industry is largely unregulated, including of these so called 'professional therapists' so just because someone calls themselves a 'horse chiro' or such doesn't mean they necessarily have a lot of knowledge or skill. For that reason, I'd ensure to use a registered chiropractic vet - or whatever kind of registered pro you use.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Can all four feet be picked up without resistance and held for at least 30 seconds? And does the horse ever stumble?

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
Hey, everyone. I have an issue. When my mare walks, she turns out her left hind. She does this a lot and it worries me. I do know a lot about horses, but this problem I do not know of. Could anybody assume what’s going on? Please help!

Ever since I got her in July of 2020.
It is good you have had her checked by a chiro, but you need to take her to an equine lameness vet. Without even seeing a picture of your horse, we are taking guesses in the dark.

Reactions: loosie

·
Registered
876 Posts
I'm interested to know if you've learned anything. I have a horse with the same problem.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts