The Horse Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone! I currently have a mare that will not stop itching her tail for anything! I clean her udders everyday with unscented baby wipes and I have tried worming her for pinworms. The vet reccomend putting oil in her diet as she may have dry skin, but she doesnt get feed. I have no clue how to fix this and it's so frustrating when she has the beautiful, long, thick tail and then a fuzzy top with no new growth.

·
Registered
48,573 Posts
could she have mites? in her tail. Have you looked really closely? Maybe put some aloe on her dock?

Have you looked between her teats to see if there is anything hard and crusty there? I hope I'm not asking dumb questions that you've already addressed.

·
Super Moderator
13,629 Posts
Have you inspected, yes inspected her tail bone for a splinter or something embedded?
Could be very small and drive her crazy...
No-see-um also plague horses tails and make them itch...
I also would be doing more than a wipe down of her teets and female parts...she may need a deep cleaning and finger-nail picking off of built up ick...
Same as geldings need to be periodically cleaned so do mares...

Does she also itch at her chest, her neck or ears?
There is a burrowing insect that once you irritate the skin it feasts on the horses oozing skin secretions...
A medical spray to my knowledge only available from a vet may help to soothe the skin..it combines steroid anti-inflammatory with some other things and stops the cycle so healing can take place..

Then there is Neem Oil used in a mixture may also help with this..
I will call @Foxhunter who knows application how-to-do, the recipe amounts and what kinds of ailments this works well on...

My other thought is have you tried applying Vaseline to the tailbone and see if something such as a hidden tick gone deep not back-out and reappear...
:runninghorse2:...

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
when was the last time she was wormed? My mare will scratch her mane and tail off in the summer to do bug irritation. I put hydrocortisone cream on her mane and tail head. She will also really scratch with a dirty bag and if she gets itchy on her vulva area.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi! So yes, I thoroughly clean her teets, in between them, and in the crease between the inside of her hip and bottom area. I make sure there is no crud/dirt every single day. I also wormed her about 3 months ago with pinworm wormer and it didn't seem to do anything, so I've just been giving her normal round and tapeworm wormer. Her tail is the only place she is itching. I don't use tail bags and even when I don't braid her tail, she still itches it. I have attempted to inspect it but all I see is dust and some build-up of skin flakes. I can't really give her a bath since it's currently in the 40's here. I think I might try vaseline or aloe to see if that helps... Would it be okay to use mite medication even if I don't know for sure that she has them?

·
Registered
5,823 Posts
try hydrocortisone cream . really rinse her girl parts with cool water, make sure something has not gotten in t eh folds. Even a tiny speck of dirt would irritate.

·
Super Moderator
16,042 Posts
Her tail itches so she scratches it!

As HLG said, I swear by Neem Oil. As it is only her tail,area that is irritated I would use a teaspoon of Neem with the same of liquid soap to a pint of hot water and rub that into her dock

Neem will kill any mites or lice, deter flies and relieve irritation.

The reason for using hot water is that Neem solidifies when cold.

·
Super Moderator
11,228 Posts
Could possibly be over cleaning and causing irritation. Skin has no natural barrier with the constant attempt to remove every speck of oil and dirt. It can become a vicious cyle. Needs cleaning so you clean and then in an attempt to keep things clean you over do.

Reactions: horselovinguy

·
Super Moderator
13,629 Posts
With the cleaning so much you could actually be drying her skin out and that itches...
The white stuff flaking off her tail sounds like it could be dry skin...possibly dander, not dandruff!

Have you recently changed cleaning products?
Bought a new shampoo, conditioner, fly spray?
Tried something "new & improved" formula...

Horses have allergic reactions to products just like people do...
I would rule out allergic to too...
:runninghorse2:...

·
Super Moderator
11,228 Posts
I could never use any packaged wipe on my child not even ones for sensitive skin. Chapped his hide with repeat usage though every once in a while wasn't too bad.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts