The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I saw the photographs of a young foal whose mother had just been beaten to within a breath of her death yesterday. He was pawing her to get up - but she couldnt because her 'owners' had broken her legs and beaten her. The poor mare had to be destroyed and the foal was left by his 'owners to fend for himself along with tens of other horses that these 'owners' had left on a housing estate to graze free. I have watched many awful things happen to horses and thought to myself - the Government will do something - but they dont and NOW I have been pushed to do something !
A petition has been started to urge the Government to address certain issues -

1) We have a horse passport system that is under administrated and does not work at present. IF owners of horses are not traceable - then what is the point of what we have?
2) Fly grazing is on the increase and this is not only dangerous and potentially cruel for the horses but for the public too as accidents happen when horses escape ! Fly grazing is an unacceptable way of providing for your horse. Often there is no shelter from sun or wet conditions, few have watering facilities and many horses are just left there with little exercise or 'life' to enjoy !
3) IF owners are not traceable then they cannot be held accountable for the mistreatment/abuse and awful conditions that some leave their horses in. People should be punished using realistic laws for making any animal suffer !

I have been in touch with the British Horse Society, Blue Cross and Redwings charity and they HAVE as a group been to the Government to urge them to take action - but nothing has happened yet .

So - to show your support for these bodies and the horses that are needlessly mistreated and abused PLEASE sign and share this petition with everybody that you know. The Government need to get tough as this equine crisis is not going to go away !

here is the link and I DO hope that you will share.....

www.change.org/en-GB/petitions/simon-coveney-minister-for-agriculture-address-the-equine-crisis-in-the-uk-and-ireland-stop-fly-grazing-abandonment-and-mistreatment-of-horses-and-make-all-owners-accountable-by-improving-the-horse-passport-scheme

IF this doesnt work then go to www.change.org and you can find the petition to Simon Ceveney on there.

Thank You SO much.

just jude

·
Registered
634 Posts
sounds like your pulling at heart strings a bit here,unfortunately ,horses do die ,for what ever reason and it would be sad to see a foal pawing at its mother and getting no response,but where's the evidence to show the mare was beaten to death,

·
Registered
208 Posts
Yes, horses die all the time, Jimmy. However, we're not talking a bout of colic here. The mare had two broken forelegs resulting from extreme trauma. After reading the newspaper article, police report and comments from those living on the estate, I could hazard a guess as to the culprits within that community. However, I don't wish to be labelled "racist", so I shall "bite my tongue".

·
Administrator
36,323 Posts
I get a link twice a week from a UK horse magazine and there isn't a week that goes by where there isn't a report of some horrendous abuse or neglect in it.
Recently one of an abandoned horse that had been set on fire by thugs - I couldn't even bring myself to look at the photos
I know there are pressures on the UK government to adopt the same law as they are in Wales where local authorities will be able to seize abandoned horses after 7 days (?) and either euthanize them or place them in a rescue centre
I fully support your petition OP - if people bury their heads in the sand and pretend nothings wrong the situation by the end of this winter is going to be even worse

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jimmy - I have been around horses for 45 years and have seen some nasty stuff and YES seeing that photograph DID pull on a heartstring but it also made me realise that the equine CRISIS that is happening NOW will get worse and worse and so something has to be done now. BIG entities such as Blue Cross, the RSPCA, the BHS and Redwings are ALL on the Governments case to make the horse passport system work so that people who do bad things to horses are held accountable, fly grazing is dangerous and cruel and should be made illegal and these are just two of the issues that the BHS agree on. So if we all dont do something like sign the petition and make the Government understand how critical this is - then in ten years time you will see MORE horses dead in the streets and the price of a horse will be nothing ! Wake up and smell the coffee ....................

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
That's horrible! Hopefully the petition will get enough signatures!

And I don't want to sound like POS, but why in a world the onlookers were afraid to get involved??! That's what I don't get at all.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I will never understand the violent end that some people and animals come to at the hand of humans. It makes me sick to my stomach to see what some have endured. I hope there are lush fields in heaven for the horses to graze in.

·
Registered
361 Posts
... What is fly grazing?
Posted via Mobile Device
Flygrazing (and somebody please correct me if i'm wrong) is where an "owner" (and I use that term very loosley) tethers a horse on a piece of waste land or council owned land (at the side of the road maybe or on a housing estate) and leaves the horse to graze. Very often the horses have no shelter or water and as they are tethered, cannot find these things and very often die. This is I believe common behaviour in the "traveller" community, especially in Ireland where I believe this photo was took (I have signed this petition already and from memory this was the story).
To ignore or accept that cruely "happens" is just letting these poor animals down - we as humans put these animals into these situations with irresponsible breeding and we should be the ones to act and try and stop this. Having this mare pts would have been a shame, but a much kinder end to the one she met with. :cry:

·
Administrator
36,323 Posts
As above plus the people that do this will also turn their horses out onto other peoples land and leave them there - padlocked gates are no deterrent to them or the fact that the land might already have the owners horses on it
Quite often the horses are mares in foal, colts that are old enough to cover a mare & frequently in poor health. Once they're on your land they almost become your problem because if you loose them out and they cause an accident to blame will lie on you. It can take ages to find a Rescue to take them and under current laws having them euthanized without first getting the owners permission takes forever.
They can't even go for slaughter into the food chain because they don't have passports or 'chips'.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
Sadly I don't see a petition making any difference:-( Owners can be traced through the passport system and fly grazing is technically illegal, what is needed is more money to fiance policing which is unlikely to happen. Perhaps a simple law allowing / ensuring the immediate destruction of fly grazing animals and loose animals might help a great deal, but trying to police and get these despicable people to change is simply not going to work.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
So often existing laws used properly cover most things, new laws are often not needed.

The trouble with these people is that they have their own ideas on laws, and do not always respect the laws of the rest of society. I can't help thinking that if they don't want to live by the rules and laws of general society, then they should not share in any of the benefits either.

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
You'll certainly get no argument from me on that, GH.

The US has its own issues with street thugs and gangs, and they'd laugh themselves silly if they knew an online petition was going around about them to 'make them stop'. Law enforcement, who are better equipped to handle this than the rest of us, can't make them stop so what is some silly online petition going to do?

Making new laws won't help if the people aren't law abiding to start with.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I agree it's a problem,but the flaw in the passport system is that it states on it that the passport is not proof of ownership there are loads of stories of people selling a horse ,only to be rung up by a vet or some one similar up to five years later ,horses are already devaluing at a quicker rate then the British economy,and it's up to the government to make fly grazing illegal ,I tether 2 horses ,one of which is a stallion and they go to work every day, and I,l match them health wise and as fit as anyone else's horses ,and if an authority came and took them ,they may keep them,and there's the reason why they won't,because it's not as simple as sending for a recovery lorry and taking your motor,which has value,and explain this to me how can anyone compound a horse and drive away with it when they haven't the passport ? if you read the defra law it states no one not police not RSPCA not council,no one can transport a horse without a passport unless it's an emergency situation so do you advocate breaking the law when it suits? There are cruel people find and prosecute them, and I,m not racist there are evil travellers,knackers or what ever you want to call them but they are evil because they are evil not because they are itinerants,I don't object to your petition ,I wish you luck with it,I,m tired of typing now ,so all the best

·
Registered
49,754 Posts
can you further explain this "passport"? it is like what we call "papers"? for registration? is it just to demonstrate ownership, or does it also trace breeding , where possible?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Thirty years or so ago, I used to volunteer at the RSPCA. In those days the charity used to liaise with the local council regarding fly-grazing. The land owner would inform the council of horses being illegally grazed on their property. We were then given immediate authority to remove them. The horses were impounded for 7 days and if not claimed and the fine paid, would go up for auction.

Now, the Law is on the side of the fly-grazer. Not only is the land owner unable to remove the horse(s), but they become responsible for making sure the animal(s) are provided with food, water and veterinary care until such time as they can open a civil case to remove them. By which time, the horses usually disappear as silently as they arrived. If the horses are not removed by the fly-grazer and are deemed "abandoned", unless a Rescue can take them in, the land owner is left with animals he cannot legally sell because the horses have no passports.

The "flaw" isn't so much the passport system but that, over recent decades, our legal system has been rendered utterly toothless. Ah, progress . . .

·
Registered
634 Posts
just read that story and studied the picture,now there's no doubt there is a dead horse there with a foal pawing at it,but I strongly suspect the story is false, think about it have you ever unloaded a mare and foal out of a box?ten men could ent keep a mare in a box once the foal was outside,she would have jumped over them to get to her baby,secondly which way was the box facing when it set off? it can't have set off uphill because there's mounds of soil there blocking the road( probably to stop the tinkers camping up there) so it would have to be facing down hill,in which case the mare would have had to be a lot further down from the dirt mound before she fell out,and lastly these evil men who did this don't only not care about horses but have no value on their belongings either,imagine going down the road at high speed and smashing your ramp to pieces on the road ,and then having the little bit of decency to cover the animal up before you left in your broken box.But that story in the paper suits the activists,I think the more likely story is the mare died ,from what ever ,the owner covered it up so as not to offend anyone whilst he was waiting for the nackerman coming ,to take her,and int the meantime some one reported it to the Garda ,the local newspaper got on it and bobs your uncle fannys your aunt ,we,ve got a story.

·
Registered
634 Posts
can you further explain this "passport"? it is like what we call "papers"? for registration? is it just to demonstrate ownership, or does it also trace breeding , where possible?
the passport is meaningless tiny,basically it's there to keep a record of what vet treatment / medicine ,the horse has received in its lifetime ,which then determines if it can go into the food chain at the end of its life you can put any breeding you want on it ,more or less any age,it's worthles

·
Registered
634 Posts
Fly-grazing:
Fly-grazing is the deliberate grazing of horses on land without the landowner’s permission. The horses may not have necessarily been abandoned, but the land is being used illegally.
In some cases, the horses may have originally been there legitimately, but the rental agreement between the land owner and the horses’ owner has terminated and the horses have not been moved.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.