Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please read the whole thing haha.

I didn't know wether to put this here or behavior haha.

But anyway, I rode luna yesterday (my going on 8 year old TB mare, shes never been raced, not even trained to race). In my lancer wich fits her , used a 1/2 pad wich i probably didn't need to use, and her loose ring french link snaffle. With a fig 8 NB b/c she constantly chews. and her boots and wraps and bla bla. She was a NIGHTMARE. tossing her head so bad i thought she was going to hit me in the face haha,drifting when id ask her to turn(like literally crossing her legs side step drifting lol, it woulda been pretty if i were asking for it. i didn't have my leg on her either.), crow hopping the whole 9. we fought for a good 45 min.

talked to my trainer she said ride her in a rope halter. im thinking to myself omg yeah right ill be on the floor. Well i rode her in the rope halter with my felt western custom fitting pad and my lancer, no boots.

WHAT A DIFFERENCE . . . . No drifting, not one head toss... we w/t/c, did some bending, shoulder in/out , whoa, back up.. dropped my reins at the canter,the whole 9 and she was brilliant.... SO im assuming its a bad tooth.. or could it be something else?? any one??

Also Her canter is a bit odd to me . IDK if shes hitchingor what... my trainer looked at the videos and she said it looks like major stifle soreness and a left hind hitch. Does any one see anything else? should i put her on joint supplements? I want to get her jumping this spring.

theres 3 vids lunging 2 free lunging.
please NOTE the wintec that is on in these videos DOES NOT FIT HER and i know this.... thats what the purpose of them were for 4 months ago. for a fitting thread. i dont use it on her any more its actually for sale. so PLEASE NO COMMENTS ON THE SADDLE.

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=100191181

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=100190878

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=100191102

some silly free lunging ones

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=100190585

pic 063.MOV videos from family videos on webshots

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseacti...deoid=100190798

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Also Her canter is a bit odd to me . IDK if shes hitchingor what... my trainer looked at the videos and she said it looks like major stifle soreness and a left hind hitch. Does any one see anything else? should i put her on joint supplements? I want to get her jumping this spring.
If she has stifle soreness then she won't be jumping by spring. I'd get the vet out to look at her. Get her teeth floated also. I have seen wonderfully broke horses that suddenly could barely be ridden because they needed a floating.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well what do you see in the video? i was told by my trainer she sees stifle soreness.. I dont know, thats why im asking.

I'll be getting the floater out asap as well.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
then its your comp bc they all work..

·
Registered
597 Posts
I cant see the videos either. It just sends me to the main myspace page. If you are cutting and pasting the url from the page you are logged in on it won't work. Beneath the video it will say link that is the one you want to use. Or you can use the embed one.

as for the head tossing my mare did the same thing yesterday. I know for a fact that she needs her teeth done. i bet that will solve a lot of your problems.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
those are the embed links.. my videos on myspace are public.

·
Super Moderator
26,794 Posts
I cna't see the video, all I see is a myspace thing with really icky video choices.

I would geuss it's a teeth issue, make sure your mare does not have any wolf teeth. Mares don't usually have them so they don't necessarily get pulled, it would be tiny stubs more then likely on the gum if she had any. Also see about a teeth floating.

On occasion it's an ear issue (mites and such) but my geuss would be teeth.

·
Registered
7,015 Posts
Normally, if a horse tosses it's head, I'd say go to a milder bit. However, the french link is considered pretty mild I would think. And I assume you've ridden her in it before and she's done fine?

So it really sounds like a dental problem, and the "chewing" could be a sign of that too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Do you always ride her in a figure 8?

The first time i rode my mare in one she fought me (or the figure 8, however you would like to put it ) the whole time. Tossing, sideways, etc.

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you always ride her in a figure 8?

The first time i rode my mare in one she fought me (or the figure 8, however you would like to put it ) the whole time. Tossing, sideways, etc.
nope first time i tried it. but same behavior as without the fig 8 the day before. Ive just been riding her in a rope halter and shes been awesome.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.