The Horse Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 12yr old QH mare and I have recently discovered that her ascending pectoral muscles are sort of protruding, it’s hard to describe, but I can feel and see the muscles on both sides, it doesn’t seem to bother her at all, I’ve poked and touch them and she doesn’t care, but I’ve never seen that before, is it normal? Her vet is coming out next week for her yearly teeth float but I am now worrying about these muscles and wondering if I should bring this to my vets attention. I’ve never noticed them before and I groom her almost daily so I know I would’ve seen it if she has always had it, she’s not bothered by the cinch when I saddle her but it seems odd to me. I have a gelding also and his same muscles are not protruding at all. Am I overreacting or is this a concern?
Leg Jaw Gesture Human anatomy Wood

·
Registered
Horse loving mama
719 Posts
Its normal, all my geldings are built with strong pectoral muscles. But if your not to sure about this bring it up to your vet to ease your mind.

·
Super Moderator
15,085 Posts
Is the area soft or hard? Heat present? Flinching when palpated? So this is sudden and was not present prior? How long have you owned her and what type of work are you doing with her?

·
Super Moderator
15,085 Posts
Heave line is where abdominal muscles are. Flank back towards pecs but not pecs. 22 on the photo in OP is where the heave line shows. It shows where muscle 22 meets the white portion also labeled 22.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is the area soft or hard? Heat present? Flinching when palpated? So this is sudden and was not present prior? How long have you owned her and what type of work are you doing with her?
The area is kinda in between soft and hard, no heat, doesn’t flinch at all, if she has always had it I never noticed before, I’ve owned her for about a year now, we mainly trail ride in the mountains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts