The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello,

I had horses when I was young. Of course then it was all pleasure as I did not have to do the upkeeping and working of them. My daughter has fallen in love with them and I never did stop loving them. My mother always had at least two horses at any given time. For my daughters birthday my sister in law gave her a 13 year old mare she could no longer house. Well, with that came her 11 year old buddy sour mare friend. Which was ok I knew once they settled in good I would start working with them on that issue. They are better but no where near happy on their own yet (even though they can see each other NOPE theyve been in the same pasture together 6 years!) so little harder than I was hoping. Well my husband surprised me and brought home a gelding 4 days ago.

1. These mares were with about 30 other horses on a farm where trail riding happened a lot.

2. The grey mare runs the chestnut away from her food so they get fed in their stalls, separated.

3. Here comes this gelding, that was getting his butt beat by another gelding and was in a pen with a mini mare. Two other mares in the pen next to him but couldnt muzzle / touch.

They all did fine other than the gelding kicking his butt!

I was thinking well they have all been around other horses, geldings, mares whatever didnt seem to matter. We get the gelding home, put him in his pasture, the mares stay in there pasture. Let them get to know each other across the fence where they have (its a triangle opening) between 10ft at one end and about 70 - 80 ft opening at the other end. Now keep in mind, they can still see each other. The mares got out Sunday , before I could get to them and seperate, both mares and the gelding had some kicks, bites, knickers, hollering, whole 9 yards. I get them back in their pen, the gelding starts pawing, running the fence line and charges at me and my son. Trying to bite, just being an pain!!! (i think he was gelded late) After 24 hrs he calmed down. Now we can barely pet him, sometimes he will let us over the fence but thats it). Im scared to go in the pen bc i dont know how he will act. And we realized hes very moody and disrespectful at feeding time because he is used to the other gelding kicking his butt and not letting him eat. I want them to be able to ride together, i know they will have their pecking order and have to establish that, but Im scared if we pen them together he will try to herd over the mares and attack one of us humans for trying to mess with any of them.

Please help. I want to fix this not get rid of any. These are our love and my 8 yr old daughter and two boys are in love with them to. We just arent sure how to fix this.

·
Super Moderator
12,663 Posts
Gelding late would not be a cause of his behavior. I'd say keep them separate for now. If possible take them out of his sight range. Carry a whip. Don't let him approach his feed until you have set it down and invited him to eat. Don't do this in an enclosed area like a stall. Out in the open/larger pen is best and safest. Once he has figured out that you control the feed and he has to be a gentleman to eat then work on handling him. I'd suggest just one person to start and start by just standing there in the pen as he eats. Not so close you cause anxiety but far enough he is comfortable. Spend time with him without any demands then gradually start approaching and work with him. Once he is comfortable with you then worry about introducing him to the herd.

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
There are sometimes issues with having a gelding (male) with mares (female) even though the gelding cannot actually breed the mares his male instincts are still there to be the "herd boss" and unless you get the upper hand and remain dominant he will become the dominant one. As @QtrBel said if you can separate him to where he cannot see the mares and work with him until he respects you that is your best bet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts