The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure where this goes, so i put it here. I am riding a mare that is probably in heat, and she does some kicks and head bobs and occasionally pins her ears and also tries to buck. Any suggestions? Turning her in tight circles sometimes works, but she only attempts to do this stuff at anything faster than a walk. I can only turn her for a short time before she gets annoyed and stops. She is just being very sassy, and i am not sure exactly what to do. :cry:

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I would sass her back ;) Give her a kick when she wants to stop, don't let her boss you around just because it's her time of month. My mare is like this too - pinny, bucky, throwy, all of it when she goes into heat. I have found the easiest thing to do is to make her work! Make her do things she doesn't want to do. If she bucks, scold her and move on. Keep doing the thing that makes her buck, and don't stop untill she chills. Hope this helps!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would sass her back ;) Give her a kick when she wants to stop, don't let her boss you around just because it's her time of month. My mare is like this too - pinny, bucky, throwy, all of it when she goes into heat. I have found the easiest thing to do is to make her work! Make her do things she doesn't want to do. If she bucks, scold her and move on. Keep doing the thing that makes her buck, and don't stop untill she chills. Hope this helps!
Thanks, i thought this would be good, but i guess i am just too nice to my horse... I just dont want the vet to come out and say she was doing it because she was sick or something, then feel all guilty that i pushed her like that. But i will do it just because the vet already came out and said to give it a week. :) I will go out tomorrow and show her what im made of! :D

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Okay, we are riding now. However the other day, she appeared to be fake limping. I put on new bell boots (which she doesnt like) and she seemed to be limping around. I took them off to see if it was the boots or not, and she eventually evened out. We then went to ride in the field, and she started to really limp and a trot! But when we turned around, she was fine! And we also rode again in the arena, and she was fine! So i am now confused as to weather she is faking it to get out of work. And yes she is still in heat. Thanks. :-x

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Okay, we are riding now. However the other day, she appeared to be fake limping. I put on new bell boots (which she doesnt like) and she seemed to be limping around. I took them off to see if it was the boots or not, and she eventually evened out. We then went to ride in the field, and she started to really limp and a trot! But when we turned around, she was fine! And we also rode again in the arena, and she was fine! So i am now confused as to weather she is faking it to get out of work. And yes she is still in heat. Thanks. :-x
NEVERMIND! we are all better now... She was faking it. Never had a horse fake that before! :lol:

·
Registered
296 Posts
This farm I worked at a while ago had a Arabian stallion that would fake lameness...anytime he was tacked up or headed to the round pen.:lol: We all knew he was faking because we had tested him many times and he always magically was sound as soon as he wasn't going to work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.