The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may be buying a house with a four stall barn and 5 acres. If I decide to keep some rough boarders, I'm considering only accepting mares. (As I have one) Has anyone heard of this?

·
Registered
16,508 Posts
No.

Why mares only?

Geldings are nice, and they don't have the hormonal fits that mares do.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts
Sure, it's no different than a barn who does not offer "mixed turnout".

If it's a small barn, with only 1 or 2 fields and you don't want mixed turnout groups, then yes, it's okay to offer mare only boarding since you own one.

·
Registered
444 Posts
No, but at a barn I rode at they turned them out by gender. The lady pen and the men pen. But if you want to go for it!

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I could split the pasture, but I like big grassy turnouts and I don't really want to. I don't want to do mixed, there's just too much risk from what I've heard. I guess I'm just lucky, my mare is not too bad when she's in season.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I dont see the risk of having geldings around... I can understand no stallions, but what is so wrong with geldings?

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
I think instead of having mares only, you just don't allow stallions. That's what most barns do. Geldings are pretty quiet most of the time and can be turned out with mares for the most part (depending on the combo of horses)

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
I know MARES who would beat up GELDINGS and HATED other mares. It may be safer to just allow geldings,lol.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Agreed, BUT if you are wanting to make some money because a LOT of people have geldings, you might want to allow them as I said, What can they hurt? Completely understand about stallions though, tooo much liability!

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Instead of just mares, ask about the horse in general. Take less dominant or destructive ones. Also, concentrate on finding boarders that you like and be sure you get references from the current boarding facility (even if they are at odds.. get their side of the story) farrier and/or vet.

I have 22 boarders and they are all mixed... I have mares that would kill each other if put together. I try to put horses together that get along. OR instead of grouping them by gender.. horses in the same age group are likely to get along better. Young horses with young horses and old horses with old horses.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I don't know how this myth that mares are so awfull when in season started but it is just a myth. If you allow your horse to act stupid don't blame the horses gender. I have mares turned in with geldings and I have riddeen alot of mares and I never had a problem with them rather they where in heat or not. One convienience to having an all mare barn is that they only ruin one spot in the bedding where a gelding will soil two spots. I would not hesitate to turn mares and geldings out together.

·
Banned
1,901 Posts
Kevin, you're signature is hilarious!

I do think its a little weird, but I have a gelding :) And its your property, so you can do what you want.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
My sig line will probably be back to something more serious tommorow but I had to go with the flow tonight.

·
Registered
755 Posts
I don't know how this myth that mares are so awfull when in season started but it is just a myth. If you allow your horse to act stupid don't blame the horses gender. I have mares turned in with geldings and I have riddeen alot of mares and I never had a problem with them rather they where in heat or not. One convienience to having an all mare barn is that they only ruin one spot in the bedding where a gelding will soil two spots. I would not hesitate to turn mares and geldings out together.
110% agree with this. I love mares, I prefer them. Geldings are kinda goofy, the ones I've met anyway! LOL

I think boarding mares only is...kind of weird? But it is your barn so obviously you can do what you want. But remember there are alot of people that believe "mares are horrible when they go in heat" blah blah blah and own geldings instead, so it might be harder to find boarders that have mares.

·
Registered
7,738 Posts
I think that's a great idea! I've never seen it done that way before but if I had the choice between keeping Lacey somewhere where it was mares only and having mixed genders, I'd go with mares only. When there are geldings around, at all, she turns into the most ridiculous flirt when she's in heat, and it's just silly.
She behaves perfectly fine with me, but I'd really prefer to not have to shield my eyes all the time when she's out in the pasture with geldings...if you know what I mean...

I think you'll probably have the most luck finding boarders by grouping the horses by age groups though, like Starline Stables said. =)

·
Registered
968 Posts
So true. - I don't Ever even know when my mare is in season.

Most of the mares that I have dealt with in my life I have preferred over most of the geldings I have dealt with in my life.

I don't see anything wrong with a mare only barn. - That said, I think it still depends on the individule horse.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The barn I board at currently separates genders. I just watch how the girls act when they are in heat and it made me wonder. People kind of seem to be prejudice to the fact that I had a mare - it wasn't difficult perse - but you could kind of tell they would rather she be a gelding, well that is, until they met her. Most of the time they'd say "sure, you can board her here, but you better be prepared to fix some boards." I think I'll try it out as an experiment, and in the future, I'm not opposed to mixing, I guess I'm uneducated about it right now. It's really just a matter of wanting my horse to have a large turnout with horses I know she'll be able to live in symbiosis with.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.