The Horse Forum banner

41 - 42 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
My vet did another full lameness eval and noticed he is significantly better since blowing his last abscess, but still not sound. My farrier was there as well and came back to me beaming at how great he looks. My farrier said he can do what pads and shoes do with 4 trims (he shoes as well- has been doing farrier stuff for 30 years plus grew up watching his dad do it, and shoes and trims a LOT of friends' horses and has brought foundered horses back to full work BAREFOOT and healed horses that were told to be put to sleep. I trust him...)
Since I talked to my farrier yesterday I feel a lot better.
My vet checked for heat, draining, pulse, swelling, hoof testers, etc. He didn't react to hoof testers and has no heat swelling or pulse anywhere. He checked for ouchiness as well and he was comfortable walking on rocks now.
My vet said most issues I would be concerned about would not be acute, since he was sound one day and lame the next after a trail ride.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Some photos... Top two pictures (lateral views) are from my old trimmer, one month apart. she used to dig out bars and my guy was EXTREMELY OUCHY with her.
I gave him 7 weeks off trimming while I found my current farrier, who has trimmed him once.
The bottom picture is my new trimmer, picture from last week. He left the heels a little high because the abscess was still actively draining out of that heel.

Sole view.. First picture was right after his last trim two weeks ago, after which he has had 24/7 turn out. Picture with purple was Friday.

Last picture shows both abscess holes out of his heel on either side, in the white line.

I have Clean Trax on its way to me...

Attachments

41 - 42 of 42 Posts