The Horse Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Super Moderator
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Elle has been super laid back and agreeable lately. Mostly. And then there was yesterday.

Me, riding: She seems a little distracted. Maybe I should just get off and lunge.
Elle, two minutes later: (sound on!)

There had been random high winds, some light hail, and in Elle's defense she was trying to keep it together for me, but kept going "A FLOWER?" startle "A SUNBEAM?" startle when she's normally pretty unflappable. "Some days you just need to run, scream, and fart. All at once." - Life advice from Elle. :LOL: Turning 25 in a month, and still capable of being an absolute loon.

Super Moderator
I love it....feeling good and full of vim & vigor is wonderful to see...:)
A good gallop loose or with you astride does a mind good sometimes.
All I saw her do is run like she is bred to do....and obviously loves to do and needs to do.
I would of loved to be astride that and feel her strength, stride extending and her joy in just being allowed to do what she wanted/needed.
Watching her so enjoying herself does your heart much good...and bet she settled down really easy once her outburst of "need to run" was addressed..
馃惔...

Super Moderator
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I love it....feeling good and full of vim & vigor is wonderful to see...:)
A good gallop loose or with you astride does a mind good sometimes.
All I saw her do is run like she is bred to do....and obviously loves to do and needs to do.
I would of loved to be astride that and feel her strength, stride extending and her joy in just being allowed to do what she wanted/needed.
Watching her so enjoying herself does your heart much good...and bet she settled down really easy once her outburst of "need to run" was addressed..
馃惔...
What's funny is that I've never been able to get her to go faster than a working canter under saddle. I suppose she might if I REALLY insisted, but she tends to be in "look after my load" mode all the time and thinks she knows my limits better than I do!! She's probably onto something. ;) But maybe I should make it a goal to try to ride her gallop this year!

Registered
She is fantastic for her years. And yes there are times to just let them go and get it all out of their system.
I am riding my niece's horse right now and for the last 3 mon. He is coming along quite well, overcoming some problems, issues he had. Niece wasn't riding for health reasons.
She came over today to see him and wouldn't you know, the one time I would have liked to have him at his best NOT. He was just silly but we worked through it and all was well in the end but it would have been better if I had done what you did.

Good for you, reading your horse correctly

Registered
Elle has been super laid back and agreeable lately. Mostly. And then there was yesterday.

Me, riding: She seems a little distracted. Maybe I should just get off and lunge.
Elle, two minutes later: (sound on!)

There had been random high winds, some light hail, and in Elle's defense she was trying to keep it together for me, but kept going "A FLOWER?" startle "A SUNBEAM?" startle when she's normally pretty unflappable. "Some days you just need to run, scream, and fart. All at once." - Life advice from Elle. :LOL: Turning 25 in a month, and still capable of being an absolute loon.
She's like wee

1 - 8 of 8 Posts