The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Chat Moderator
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
McClellan saddles have a reputation of being one of the most comfortable saddles for the horse and among the worst for the rider's comfort.
File:IMG 0847.JPG - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I have found were they were used by Florida crackers (the local variety of cowboy) due to the heat and they didn't rope cattle down there. I was wondering has anyone ever rode in one of those saddle?

19th Century Saddles and Tack here is a modern company that makes and sells those saddle along with other 19th century saddles.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
They hurt your bum if you ride too long in one.

·
Registered
4,138 Posts
I have not ridden long distance in one, but we do have one. It is pretty comfy IMO and VERY secure. If you like a hard-seat western saddle, then you'll be fine in a McClellan. My Husband's is a 1920's WWII officer's saddle, all original. We had the rigging redone and put new stirrups on it (English leathers and safety irons). It's in GREAT shape for its age and fits most medium to narrow horses very well. Not so great on the fatties though, lol. We use it to ride youngsters and for pony-rides. Kids like it because of the HIGH pommel they can hold on to.

·
Chat Moderator
3,744 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you for the other link, and I am not looking at one of those saddles. I have only heard how bad they were to ride in and I was curious about how they were.

·
Registered
957 Posts
My boyfriend (who doesnt ride much lol) really liked riding his aunt's Paso Fino in it. He said it was very comfy :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
They hurt your bum if you ride too long in one.

I concur! They are designed for the horses' comfort, not the riders. The original design (gap in the seat) was so they horses' spine would still have saddle clearance as the horse lost weight while the soldiers were out campaigning

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.