The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
She has mites but it was only discovered earlier this week. Last week very comfy no stamping or usual behaviours. Earlier this week she's been very itchy as you can imagine! Vet is booked and supplies have been ordered. No one at the yard had anything to apply and I was told not to worry... plenty horses here have mites and don't trash their feet... LIKE THIS:

She severely twisted both shoes and farrier came as fast as he could - lots of lami cases atm and he's up to his eyeballs. He said no live tissue has been comprised and that he'll come back in a fortnight or so to check on them or to call if any issues. I asked him if there was anything I should do in the meantime and he said no - just to take it easy. Surely I need to be on top of it now? What the heck guys :< Help? She was very stampy so hopefully tomorrow is a new day for better pictures!

He filed them as best he could and she was well behaved. But I mean.. they look AWFUL now. Her front feet basically belong to a different horse!

20190701_193156.jpg
20190701_193202.jpg
20190701_193228.jpg

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Should I still have her turned out tomorrow in the big field? She'll be out for 4 days straight. It's hot and dry atm. The small glimpse of her sole and some parts of her ... hoof wall? it was like looking through the gap of a doorway. it was empty inside! :O I'm actually losing my mind right now... calling @loosie (or begging?)

·
Registered
14,652 Posts
So if I'm understanding this right, she pulled her shoes off in the field?

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
That looks pretty normal to me. I would put thrush treatment in those cracks and crevices, by the next cycle they'll be mostly grown out.

As far as turnout I try to keep in mind why the horse has shoes, do the feet fall apart without them? Is the horse sore? If not then turnout, if you're worried because they're already chipped it won't hurt to put something on... do you have boots? You can also put some duct tape on or something.

Another thought is I assume she twisted the shoes from stomping? Now she has chipped unshod feet to stomp on, I would be concerned about her being sore or making things worse from the stomping.

I agree with calling your farrier if you're concerned.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So if I'm understanding this right, she pulled her shoes off in the field?
Nope, stalled overnight. I was there the night before at 8pm all good. A little itchy but not going mad itchy. I always do her feet. 1pm next day THIS. They were twisted around at random angles, flopping about, nails half shredded chunks out. I couldn't get them off nor did I wanna try tbh and no one around was capable and/or willing. Farrier took off her shoes when he arrived and this is the damage in all it's glory. She had lovely even feet and smooth edges. He'd only put new shoes on last week as well...

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He said not to worry at all. But this is normal looking? I guess I'm just horrified as it's really not what I'm used to!

·
Registered
14,652 Posts
Your farrier shouldn't do the clinches too tight. He should take more clinch off so if the shoe is accidentally pulled, it doesn't take hoof wall with it. You can reset or replace a shoe but you can't put back hoof wall.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Normal looking for a horse that pulled off a shoe. To specify lol, obviously not actually normal! It is all superficial. It will all grow out. As I said I would treat proactively, but it's really not a huge cause for concern. I've seen a lot worse.

My barefoot mare gets chips in the summer, they're also completely superficial and usually are gone after a trim, but it still drives me nuts. MY horse isn't supposed to have foot problems. It's not even a problem really lol. I understand your horror :).

I just read she's out in the pasture for 4 days... I assume you'll be checking on her? Can she come in if her feet look worse? Softer footing is likely better she won't do as much damage stamping and will maybe stamp less (more distracted by things lol)

Her front feet are fine and still shod?

·
Registered
14,652 Posts
Maybe normal but not correct. My horses have pulled off shoes, especially going in the woods and hitting tree roots. The clinches are set up like bindings on skis, if there is pressure that will break something, it gives. Takes more effort on the farrier's part to set them that way, so either they don't know or they cheat.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
Interesting @waresbear sounds like this horse was dancing around all night which didn't help, but I've seen a lot of shoes come off and there's usually a sign on the foot or on the shoe, I've never even heard of that.

·
Registered
14,652 Posts
I knew about the clinching short from my farrier years ago when a horse pulled a shoe clean off. He said that's the reason he makes the extra effort to keep the clinches short, much easier to replace a shoe on a whole hoof, than one that is missing big chunks. When I was learning to shoe from him, he showed me how to do it, and yes it does take more work.

Reactions: Yogiwick

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
I knew about the clinching short from my farrier years ago when a horse pulled a shoe clean off. He said that's the reason he makes the extra effort to keep the clinches short, much easier to replace a shoe on a whole hoof, than one that is missing big chunks. When I was learning to shoe from him, he showed me how to do it, and yes it does take more work.
Interesting, seems like it would make it more easy for the shoe to come off if the clinches would "give"

·
Registered
14,652 Posts
Interesting, seems like it would make it more easy for the shoe to come off if the clinches would "give"
It does, but only under pressure. If the shoe is under pressure that it will be pulled off, the hoof wall is going to come with it if you leave longer clinches. My horses have been shod with the shorter clinches for many decades, they rarely lose a shoe, but if they do, it comes clean off, doesn't take any hoof wall with it. I did ask him if the shoes will come off easier with the shorter clinching, he said yes, just as easy as it will come off with the longer clinches, except it doesn't take off a chunk of hoof with it. Said it is the things he learns when he goes to Farrier expositions in the offseason, which is the winter here, he is not that busy. He said a lot of the things he sees, he wouldn't use or do, but once in a while he sees a very helpful technique or item. Lucky for me I get to learn from him. Also when I was shoeing my horses and going back and forth from the Anvil and sweating and swearing, he was saying this is the way to do it properly & right now you could quit and tack that shoe on, that is not a proper job, it is a cheat. I could see very easily how somebody could cheat a shoe job, not only with the clinching, but all aspects of fitting the shoe to the hoof. For instance if the shoe is a little bit off on the side you could just rasp down the hoof wall over the shoe. but if you are any kind of farrier you've already prepped your hoof to be balanced, rasping off the side is a cheat. Get your lazy butt back to the Anvil and bang that shoe so it accommodates the side of the hoof wall. Sorry didn't mean to hijack OP's thread.

·
Registered
14,652 Posts
Also, the clinches don't really give, they take a tiny portion of hoof with it, so it just looks like a larger nail hole.

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
The feet aren't that bad. They're not good, and you might have trouble getting a shoe to stay until they've grown out more, but I've had worse. My horse pulled so many shoes he literally had no wall left. Had to use glue ons.

Is the pasture hard? Soft grass pasture shouldn't hurt, especially on the hind feet where there's less weight.

If she's stomping at flies, look into fly boots if she'll tolerate them. You can also put bell boots on the hind if you think this might be a recurring problem.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.