The Horse Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
When we lived on the cattle farm in Melbourne, my mare used to go into the deep pond when I wanted to ride her. I used to chuck pine cones at her to try to get her to come out. After a couple of months of that, she didn't care when the pine cones hit her. I'd have to ride my son's horse instead. Clever mare!
It is, and I have to admit that when I used to watch that other horse that would go in the pond, I'd think that I wished I had one who would like it. And now I do! I'm glad he is always eager to come when called, though. Someone who used to be at our barn had a horse who didn't like to be caught. If she was really in a mood about it, she'd just go in the pond. And nobody could get her out of there.
I love stuff like this so much :p Glad you're comfortable enough to still keep those riding muscles active. Ahh I googled what breeching was and it makes sense. I remember watching a driving vid (maybe you've seen) and it was a mare that when in heat would constantly buck because of it. He looks very fancy in his gear. So trailer news today? I expect it xD

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Sorry about the fire my gosh I'd be so paranoid as well I probably couldn't sleep :cry: You did AMAZING taking the ponies out. I wont lie it sounds stressful and I don't blame you at all for being annoyed. But you DID IT and I'm so happy for you. Deserves a celebration so do something nice for yourself! I definitely missed about your yard move somewhere. I know you're moving to a new house eventually but I had no idea you'd have to relocate before then. What a pain. What are your thoughts so far or is this a situation of limited options?

About that man crossing the road - did he even stop to acknowledge the fact he just did something stupid? I hate to think of someone doing that on purpose but its not uncommon on the 6 lane road next to my house :<

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
I have a wheelbarrow like this:

Tire Wheel Rolling Cart Automotive wheel system

I stack 6 bales on it. It's got nice big wheels so even in our slippery mud I manage ok. I can use one hand and my thighs to push and my other arm is free to stabilise/protect my head if needed. I dont put it in the bucket. I lay it crisscross style. You could probably secure it with some elastic rope with hooks but I am too lazy for that. If it topples get out the way :p I started off with 4 so probably do that first 😅 Defo pick up by twine I'd be dying if I did it your way so well done! Looks like lovely stuff you got. I'm gona try get up to 8 bales as a sad little game now. Or make use of Katie hehehe.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
@Kalraii one of my favorite memories, who knows why, is of the feed truck getting stuck in the mountains. We had a lot of hay on needing fed, where it was stuck, and we had to lighten it up and do whatever it was they did.

I just remember that I was tiny. I was riding Darcel, a fat little bay mare, which means I was less than six. My dad and grandpa put my mother and I’s ropes around bales, and we drug them out where they would be fed. I felt so proud! I guess I remember it mostly because it was different than normal, but it was very happy to me. I don’t think I had roped at a branding before, so it was all new.
That is actually too cute! Darcel sounds amazing guess she was a work horse as well so used to dragging stuff? Katie might die I reckon, after she's taken the bale on a journey. I was more thinking of packing two bales on her sides. Hm. Man, yours stories really give some perspective. Our horses are far too spoiled here. If only I could give them a PROPER job! Like what would we rope? A pigeon? "lets check the fence lines... all 1 meter of them" :ROFLMAO: Can't wait to read about Police Pony if you manage to get to it @ACinATX and start your patrols. Need some motivation over here XD

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
@Kalraii where do you store it? I forget, do you have a tiny shed where you board? I'm actually imagining you pushing it back and forth between your house and the pasture...

Oh, yes, it looks nice, but it was very dry and dusty and when I got back to the barn I pulled out one bale that had mold. Also, I helped load it into the trailer like I said, and even with the windows and doors all open it was very dusty. Then I started sneezing on the way back, and when I blew my nose it was all green. I had multiple nose blows to clear that out. Sorry, I guess that's kind of gross.
I seriously did consider keeping hay at my house. And I did think about haylage. But I wouldn't want to be responsible for setting my whole street on fire. We have a little storage box we'll say its 3 bales big and a pallet next to it I stack and cover my bales on the pallet. I learned the hard way that when keeping them outside I need to cover them underneath as well. They sucked up all the moisture once and all of them were mouldy. Tarps no good I got heavy duty pvc/vinyl(?)the stuff that goes on lorries which has worked a treat. I am just grateful that we have easy access to hay. Just the farmer doesn't want to churn the mud. So he drops it from the concrete lane and we have to walk to fetch it. Not far, but y'know how mud makes you work harder. Constant moonwalking. I've been thinking about getting spikes or something. A welly with a high heel maybe?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts