The Horse Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I have had this same problem with my donkeys. They are not like a horse! I was very disappointed when I got mine. I still love them, but I was hoping that by getting them, I would be learning more about how a horse works and thinks. This was not the case. A horse will do whatever you ask of them, so long as they trust you. A donkey will stand there and analyze every little detail, and they have to feel like it was also their choice to move forward. They do not like to feel like they are being told what to do. You have to be willing to work with them, and sometimes do what they want to do. This does get annoying, and I still don't completely understand the 'way' of a donkey lol. Keep working at it! You sound to be getting a lot of progress!!
Going off of that, it sounds to me like donkeys would be brilliant experience for horses! I'd say (though I don't have much experience with this) a donkey is still similar enough to a horse, just not as easy to force into things. I think most horses are more easily manipulated into things (and they can "break" easily) but I'd always rather a trainer acts more in this respectful manner with a horse than too quick and demanding and forceful. So who knows, you might be really happy that you got this experience later on! :)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts