The Horse Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been posting a few time about my mini that was a sweetheart and then I moved her and she became mean.

Figured it out. She’s madly in love with another horse. Once we separated them (they were paddocks next to each other) she’s completely fine again. I still don’t trust her fully and I found out she kicked my barn manager.

Someone explain to me how she is so in love with another mare 🏼

·
Registered
3,787 Posts
Yes.

Because you were no longer a herdmate. They evolved such that being in a herd means survival. Horses still work on instinct, not by human logic, nor do they think in terms of context. Separate them from their herd when they get strongly herd bound and some can act mean about it - because they're afraid.

It's natural for a horse to bond with other horses and become buddy soured and herd bound. That's what they are - herd animals. Greater numbers in a herd mean greater odds of survival yet you don't want isolate a horse without a buddy (Except in certain situations and temporarily), that leads to more fear and problems, but also a sad lonely horse. As with all things Horse - there's a careful balance to be maintained.

Glad you figured out her issues.

Reactions: loosie and mmshiro
1 - 4 of 4 Posts