The Horse Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so I went and measured Moonshine's feet. Well, I measured her fronts and forgot the backs. :icon_rolleyes: Then I got home and looked at the pictures and realized I wasn't sure where, in the back, the measurement was supposed to end. With these pictures, what size are her feet, with respect to getting boots?

Wow, looking at these pictures ... I guess I'll be trimming her hooves next time I'm out there...

Attachments

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
Wellllll - when I look at Easy Care’s sizing chart for their trail boots ————-

Those are some big hooves:shock::shock:

Those measurements would be at the maximum for a size two and the minimum for a size three:|:|

See the top right block.
https://www.easycareinc.com/images/Size-Charts-Spring-2018.pdf

Twos would be a really tight fit and you would have to keep her hooves rasped on weekly basis to keep her in twos, especially since she should have pads in the boots.

If she is a two on the front and typically a horse is a size smaller on the back, she could wear size ones, on the back..

Since I have both the size two and Size One Boas, be absolutely sure of the hoof sizes and let me know if you want them.

They may not be the absolute end answer but they would tell you if boots will help her before you spend a gawd awful amount of money on something that won’t work.

You may also end up having to put therapeutic boots on her, instead of trail boots.

That said, I think a little more can come off all the way around, so she could fit in twos and have room for pads. Which she needs pads and, IMO she needs 1/2” thick pads, nothing more.

No wedges, as @loosie commented because she should not have her heels “jacked up”.

Joker wears wedges with a 3/8” rise at the heels but his issue is not the same as Moonshine’s.

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think I might need to take better pictures. I think these pictures make it look like her hooves go all the way back to her heel bulbs. I'm not sure if the measurement is supposed to go to the heel buttress, which needs to be brought back a bit IMO, or the end of her frog, which seems like it's maybe a little overgrown and flappy in the back.

How about if I get her on the ground and just measure from the front of her hoof to the last point that makes ground contact. Would that make more sense for a measurement?

I super appreciate your help!!!

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, thank you, that makes a lot of sense. I will trim her next time I'm out there, and then re-measure.

Reactions: walkinthewalk

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
OK I trimmed her and re-measured. Here are some pictures. My daughter took them while I was holding the hoof and measuring thing -- much easier than last time where I was holding both AND taking the picture. But, one of the pictures disappeared.

Anyways. Rasping brought her heels back, but I also took some off her toe as well, so I think the measurements are the same. It seems like her feet are 4.25 - 4.5 inches in the front, and 4.5 in the back. Do you guys agree?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Make sure you check with a dealer/guide of the brand you plan on ordering. Each brand wants you to measure to a different point. Learned that the hard way when I was trying Scoot Boots and was used to Renegades!

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
AC, have you started drinking yet:lol::lol:

Here’s what I see:

RF = 4-1/2 and needs the bars cut back. Red circle = bars. Blue circle = minor flare:)

LF = ~4-1/2.

LR = ~4-7/8:shock:

51632C7E-3CA8-4F0C-AC4A-975D39A0A842.jpeg

9FA056D9-439A-4BEF-A353-7426DB5052A3.jpeg

The LF didn’t save after I marked it:frown_color: I can remark it but it’s measures the same as the RF and the bars look good on it:smile:

The bars needing fixed on the RF could be some of the reason for her being ouchie:)

·
Registered
4,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah, I see, I was measuring to the seat of corn, not the heel buttress. Thank you!

I agree with you about the flare -- I noticed that after I looked at the pictures. I agree that the bar is wonky, but since her soles are so thin I felt like leaving it might be better, since maybe it's providing some support. And don't people say that the sole grows out from the bars? I will check the height when I go out again, but I don't think it's higher than the hoof wall at the back, although I did bring the hoof wall back there down a bit so maybe I'm mis-remembering.

I wonder if this might be a good topic for a whole new thread, since I'm sure there are lots of opinions about it, and a lot of people are probably not reading this thread.

I am not a drinking person, but if I were, yeah, I'd be drinking by now.

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
The bars on the RF need to look like the bars on the LF:)

Her soles are thin on both hooves, so the overgrowth of the bars can go:)

Although I will say, without knowing if the bars on both hooves were trimmed at the same farrier visit, there is a reason that hoof thinks it needs to grow more bar.

If all that bar is the hoof’s idea and the farrier didn’t forget to trim it on the last visit, the hoof is wrong in its thinking it needs to grow so much,lollol

Rusty has been barefoot 95% of his life. His LF is a less-than Grade 1 genetic club hoof. It will grow bar at a faster rate than his RF (a normal hoof) will.

I rarely get him to his five week farrier appointment without paring the bars down on his club hoof. This reminds me that I need to look at his hooves. Rusty doesn’t have any issues, except for fast growing bars so it’s easy to forget, when I spend such an inordinate amount of time on Joker’s hooves:(

Reactions: ACinATX

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I actually measured Riley last week for boots and then chickened out in ordering them because I wasn't sure I measured right. I did the same thing you did... I measured too big. (I'm measuring with shoes).

Question - do you have to have four of them or can you just do the front two? A million years ago I did just the front two on my old guy but I was teenager so....

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Question - do you have to have four of them or can you just do the front two? A million years ago I did just the front two on my old guy but I was teenager so....
That depends on your footing, your horse's hooves and how far you ride. Even my TB with not great hooves can go barefoot if the ride is mostly sand, grass and dirt with a little gravel.
If your horse has decent hind hooves and your ride does not have more than a mile of gravel, front boots should be fine. A horse with really great hinds can do more.
If you are going long distances with a lot of rock, or at faster speeds, I would boot all four.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
That depends on your footing, your horse's hooves and how far you ride. Even my TB with not great hooves can go barefoot if the ride is mostly sand, grass and dirt with a little gravel.
If your horse has decent hind hooves and your ride does not have more than a mile of gravel, front boots should be fine. A horse with really great hinds can do more.
If you are going long distances with a lot of rock, or at faster speeds, I would boot all four.

He is in shoes but I read you can put the boots over shoes. He has Navicular so he doesn't get ridden hard and not consistently. I usually ride him in the ring at whatever pace and however long he is comfortable but my farrier made a new set of shoes for him and he's been sound with no sign of lameness for going on 3 months now. His Osphos shot is almost due at this point and he has been feeling really good (Knock on wood). We took him on about a 10 mile trail ride (walk with a tiny bit of trot on dirt trails) and he did great. Perky ears - happy expression and was sound the next day so I thought I might buy some boots so we can trail ride more often. Right now I'm lucky to haul out for a ride a couple times a year. I'd like to do it once a month to the National Forest if he'll last. Husband rides him. I ride Baby horse and the teenager rides Sierra....

Reactions: JoBlueQuarter

·
Registered
6,464 Posts
Interesting...what would be the reason for putting boots on a horse with shoes on?

One caveat I can think of is that boots are pretty expensive and I would think they would wear out quickly with shoes under.

·
Super Moderator
26,877 Posts
I've read articles where people have used them over shoes for horses that have had laminitis and navicular. They use a leather pad to protect the boot. To be honest with you - I don't know that it would do anything. My thought was extra pad/protection. I do not have a pad under my shoe. I could try that first. I guess if we continue the conversation I should start a new thread so I don't hijack this one....

·
Registered
10,599 Posts
I've read articles where people have used them over shoes for horses that have had laminitis and navicular. They use a leather pad to protect the boot. To be honest with you - I don't know that it would do anything. My thought was extra pad/protection. I do not have a pad under my shoe. I could try that first. I guess if we continue the conversation I should start a new thread so I don't hijack this one....
Boots over shoes for any reason is not something that makes sense to me — it’s almost like a double negative in English.

There are a lot of new padding options, these days, for shoes. There’s a lot of flexible padding. I have zero use for leather pads. They are harbingers of smelly funk, IMHO, lollol

@Farmpony. Yes why not start another thread:smile::smile:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts