The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone own a horsehair mecate? If so do you like it?

Where can I get a nice yet affordable one?

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
I use a yaght rope mecate. I like them better than horse hair. Horsehair mecates require a lot of special care and come in two kinds expensive and crappy. Sometimes the crappy ones are expensive also but they are still crappy.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've researched some, and I've decided that I want an actual horsehair mecate for the traditional aspect. Also, I have a mustang, and I thought that the traditional look would be best on her. I'm getting a Guitron bosal, so I might get a Guitron mecate, but I was also considering a Jose Ortiz or any others that are suggested here.

·
Registered
775 Posts
I've researched some, and I've decided that I want an actual horsehair mecate for the traditional aspect. Also, I have a mustang, and I thought that the traditional look would be best on her. I'm getting a Guitron bosal, so I might get a Guitron mecate, but I was also considering a Jose Ortiz or any others that are suggested here.

Either one of those choices will work just fine for your horse and you will find that the horse hair does make a difference as you work on the neck rein.
I would suggest staying with at least a 1/2" as the weight will allow it to hang a little better.
The smaller or lighter ones are used in a two rein setup.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well the bosal I'm getting is 3/4", (thicker for milder... you know how that goes) and I read that the mecate should be the same diameter or 1/8" thinner, so I'm definitely going with a 3/4" or 5/8" mecate. Does that sound right?

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
I use a yaght rope mecate. I like them better than horse hair. Horsehair mecates require a lot of special care and come in two kinds expensive and crappy. Sometimes the crappy ones are expensive also but they are still crappy.

Yeah, cheaply made ones are mostly tail hair which is stiff and very prickly. The really good ones are mostly mane hair. They will cost you your first born :wink:

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Agreed. To get a good one, you are looking at spending a pretty penny. I don't particularly care for them because I don't like the prickly feel of them but to each their own. I don't know where to get a good one, we have one hanging in the tack room but I've only ever used it once.

Here is a site that I have used in the past and been satisfied with the quality of their products. I just did a search for Mecate and they have ones in both sizes you mentioned that are advertised as mane hair. Though the second one down looks to be a better quality, I can't vouch for either one of them being good as I have never ordered one from them.

NRS - National Ropers Supply - Western wear, horse tack, horse trailers, team roping, cowboy boots & hats

·
Registered
13,165 Posts
I owned a pair a few years ago. They were a middle of the road cost wise and must have contained more tail hair then mane hair. If I wasn't wearing gloves, they were so annoyingly uncomfortable that I only used them a few times before selling them and getting good yacht rope from a boat supply store.

·
Registered
957 Posts
I love, love, LOVE my horsehair mecate reins. I got mine when they were orginally fifty and they eventually got marked down to $25...so exciting :) I have used them for over a year and a half and love them. I dont use gloves with mine as I dont find them picky. You can get them in any color..a girl I know had them made out of the tail and mane hair of a horse of her's that passed away.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well the good Guitron ones are only $65-$85. They are supposed to be really good quality and definitely cheaper than ones Sara (don't remember her last name) makes which cost from $100-$300.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.