The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
818 Posts
Gonna have to jump in on this one. I apologize in advance for stepping on anyones toes or hurting anyones feelings, but the newspaper did nothing worng here. Its is a very unfortunate thing. My sympathy goes out to the owner. But to the OP, if you thought the photo's were uncalled for and inappropriate to the situation, why post them on a public forum?? That confuses me. This would have just been a small issue on the newspaper, but you put it on a public forum to draw more attention!? Secondly, this article is not only to inform the public on what happened, but to also inform the public to drive safely and keep an eye out for livestock on the roads. Sometimes to reach the public with media, you must be graphic. As a result I bet people will drive more carefully and slowly when passing places where livestock are enclosed near a highway. And if you don't want your children to to see it, keep them away and shelter them from reality. Thats the parents choice. And this will also help inform livestock owners to check fences near highways to avoid these tragedies. Yes its a terrible thing, yes its graphic. But why draw more attention to it and attack the media for simply informing the public? That's my two cents...

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Gonna have to jump in on this one. I apologize in advance for stepping on anyones toes or hurting anyones feelings, but the newspaper did nothing worng here. Its is a very unfortunate thing. My sympathy goes out to the owner. But to the OP, if you thought the photo's were uncalled for and inappropriate to the situation, why post them on a public forum?? That confuses me. This would have just been a small issue on the newspaper, but you put it on a public forum to draw more attention!? Secondly, this article is not only to inform the public on what happened, but to also inform the public to drive safely and keep an eye out for livestock on the roads. Sometimes to reach the public with media, you must be graphic. As a result I bet people will drive more carefully and slowly when passing places where livestock are enclosed near a highway. And if you don't want your children to to see it, keep them away and shelter them from reality. Thats the parents choice. And this will also help inform livestock owners to check fences near highways to avoid these tragedies. Yes its a terrible thing, yes its graphic. But why draw more attention to it and attack the media for simply informing the public? That's my two cents...
I suspect you haven't finished reading the thread :)

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
It's already ON Facebook, as people from Whitehorse have shared the Yukon New's story and picture of Java...
Its not on Yukon New's facebook page, and it seems to be gone from the YN website :wink:

·
Registered
818 Posts
I suspect you haven't finished reading the thread :)
Yes I did read the whole thread. But you should know that once a picture is posted, it won't be deleted. This should be a lesson learned. Basically all you did was do the opposite of what you were trying to do and bring more attention to a story that would have just died away.

Reactions: themacpack

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #66
Yes I did read the whole thread. But you should know that once a picture is posted, it won't be deleted. This should be a lesson learned. Basically all you did was do the opposite of what you were trying to do and bring more attention to a story that would have just died away.
As I already said, its agreed they have a right to publish a story. No one argued that. But it could have been done without the pictures.

Again the pictures are already out there and we know this. But it is still within our rights to email them and tell them we don't approve of the pictures and ask them to remove them.

They can ignore us if they want. But what harm is there in emailing them and telling them its tasteless? There is no harm.

Regarding me posting the picture. Its been removed from photobucket, and mods can remove it from here.

There are a million ways this can and will play out. Its a matter of waiting to see which way it happens. In the mean time. Raising a fuss and telling the newspaper they are idiots is well within our rights and we can ask people to join us. If you don't want to join it, thats your right. But what do you have to gain from posting here saying that we are stupid for trying? :wink:

·
Registered
551 Posts
I agree that this incident was worthy of reporting due to the fact that is occurred on a public roadway, and therefore affects everyone who uses that roadway. Raising awareness of what can happen is always helpful, especially at this time of year, when people become complacent with winter driving (I am not exempt from this, either!). As stated above, it is also a lesson for livestock owners. You can never be too careful.

·
Registered
2,808 Posts
Personally..if I were writing the article with intentions of targetting drivers to be more cautious, Id have used a picture of the supposedly totalled vehicle (which I believe) instead of the dead pony.

That's what gets me, personally. Instead of putting a picture that most would consider morally correct, they put a picture of the pony in the ditch, which is going to cause disruption in many more lives.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I'm glad they took it down. I'm not really liking the fact that it's in my Newsfeed triplicate right now...
I'm hoping its gone anyway... I checked as did Evansk and we can't see anything. Maybe we're missing it. Hopefully its gone.

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Personally..if I were writing the article with intentions of targetting drivers to be more cautious, Id have used a picture of the supposedly totalled vehicle (which I believe) instead of the dead pony.

That's what gets me, personally. Instead of putting a picture that most would consider morally correct, they put a picture of the pony in the ditch, which is going to cause disruption in many more lives.
Posted via Mobile Device
Thank you. Thats how I see it too. Why wouldn't they post the truck? The truck was totaled. Yes there would still be blood seen but it wouldn't be as in your face as you would be looking at what used to be a truck.

Why post a picture of a childs dead pony?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
As far as posting on a public forum, MB already stated she regrets posting the picture. As to NB making it public beyond this forum, it was already stated that the newspaper took care of that.

What's done is done, what we are trying (i believe) to do is voice our opinion that by showing the actual bodies the newspaper went to far. If they wanted pictures warning people about what can happen, SHOW PICTURES OF THE VEHICLES!!! It's not the fact the article was WRITTEN, we all basically agree it should be done and that's not the issue. It's the papers CHOICE of what pictures they decided to print.

I don't live in a bubble, and neither do my kids. BUT I do hold them accountable for their actions and how it affects others. I expect others to do the same. Maybe if more people followed that, you never know what tragedies could have been avoided.

Not that long ago, we as a society viewed certain things as disrespectful, callous, cruel. There's progress for betterment, and there's progress for greed. The papers actions in printing the pictures they CHOSE to falls under the later.

·
Registered
818 Posts
As I already said, its agreed they have a right to publish a story. No one argued that. But it could have been done without the pictures.

Again the pictures are already out there and we know this. But it is still within our rights to email them and tell them we don't approve of the pictures and ask them to remove them.

They can ignore us if they want. But what harm is there in emailing them and telling them its tasteless? There is no harm.

Regarding me posting the picture. Its been removed from photobucket, and mods can remove it from here.

There are a million ways this can and will play out. Its a matter of waiting to see which way it happens. In the mean time. Raising a fuss and telling the newspaper they are idiots is well within our rights and we can ask people to join us. If you don't want to join it, thats your right. But what do you have to gain from posting here saying that we are stupid for trying? :wink:
Personally, if it was my horse. I wouldn't want people arguing about it in a public forum. I'd rather just accept it and move on. Which I'm sure any other reasonable horse owner would. I believe what you did is uncalled for. Sorry if this makes you mad or whatever, but this is how I see and I know many people would. You think the picture is uncalled for, but I think posting it publicly is more uncalled for. This could have been a quiet community story.. Not any more..

·
Registered
3,347 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
Personally, if it was my horse. I wouldn't want people arguing about it in a public forum. I'd rather just accept it and move on. Which I'm sure any other reasonable horse owner would. I believe what you did is uncalled for. Sorry if this makes you mad or whatever, but this is how I see and I know many people would. You think the picture is uncalled for, but I think posting it publicly is more uncalled for. This could have been a quiet community story.. Not any more..
Again, the picture is removed. Life goes forward. I posted this thread as requested by the owner of the horses.

You can sit here and insult me all you want. Its not going to change my opinion of the situation, nor is it going to change that this thread was made, its not going to change that the media should never have put the pictures out, its not going to change the fact that the owner of these horses and her family are crushed by what happened.

If we are using the arguement that the media posted this to help awareness, why wouldn't they post the truck? Why post a childs dead pony?

And last but not least. What exactly are you hoping to gain by insulting me and running this thread away from the intent of it, which is to tell the newspaper that the pictures should not have been used?

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
This wasn't posted here for argument though but a call for help :/ it just took off that way.. should have known it would -le sigh-

Reactions: Kayella

·
Registered
818 Posts
Again, the picture is removed. Life goes forward. I posted this thread as requested by the owner of the horses.

You can sit here and insult me all you want. Its not going to change my opinion of the situation, nor is it going to change that this thread was made, its not going to change that the media should never have put the pictures out, its not going to change the fact that the owner of these horses and her family are crushed by what happened.

If we are using the arguement that the media posted this to help awareness, why wouldn't they post the truck? Why post a childs dead pony?

And last but not least. What exactly are you hoping to gain by insulting me and running this thread away from the intent of it, which is to tell the newspaper that the pictures should not have been used?
I'm just stating my opinion. Once again this is a public forum, don't like it? Shouldn't have started it. Secondly, when a horse is out in the road in an area that is not free range, it is the owners fault. No matter what happens. This was to warn the public, an mainly livestock owners that fences need to be maintained along roadways. IMO posting a picture of the truck would have not impacted livestock owners as much. Look at this from the newspaper editors point of view..

Reactions: themacpack

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
It was enough arguing and opinions about it. The thread is closed...

61 - 76 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.