Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Story time!

Let's start in the present. I recently have been hoping more and more to fulfill my goal of dabbling in dressage (with lessons), and actually honing my skills to one discipline. The only horse I could see myself doing this with is my POA gelding, who was my first horse, and only horse young enough and not claimed by another individual and their discipline. My problem comes as I love my gelding, but what I REALLY want is a mare of my favorite breed, the Curly horse. I knew if I found another horse I'd have to sell my gelding. It isn't fair to him to set him on the back burner, where he already is in the first place. He is a great horse, and I love him, but I need someone who can give him the stimulation that he NEEDS. So, like any horse lover, I've been looking around at horses.

A few days ago I stumbled across an ad for a mare who has done some dressage. I looked at her, something sparked me as familiar. She was a Curly, of course, and straight-haired. She looked grey, so I shook off any lasting hope familiarity. Still curious, I ask about her bloodlines. Owner says it is hard to see in the picture, but she is a fading leopard. Turns out, her sire is a Curly leopard appaloosa that I had been stalking the week before. But it gets better.

I still think she looks familiar; something about her face. Face is short, a hair refined, and something about her forehead and ear set. My heart was beating a thousand miles an hour but I told myself, no, this isn't the same horse. But the story kept adding up. I knew if I were to disprove anything, I'd have to find the pictures I took of the mare I thought I was looking at. Maybe it was just similar bloodlines, after all. But after digging through my hundreds of folders organized by date, from the year 2012, I find what I am looking for.

They look the same, but how do you tell one white horse from another? She has mottling, but I thought maybe her current owner would be able to tell better. Sure as the sky is blue, she says that is the very horse. They bought her last spring. She tells me how the woman she bought her from, whom I knew, got her from a breeder who died and her husband sold the horses. The story couldn't have been any more real.

So rewind to September in the year 2012, my father and I go out to visit a local Curly breeder to see and learn more about the breed. They had a handful of horses, nice looking, but it was plain to see they were not of great concern. Like I said, all of the horses were good looking, but not particularly curious and didn't pay us more than a sniff or three in our direction before walking off. One mare was a star above them all, and stood by us nearly our entire visit, save to go in the pasture, roll, then come back for more attention. Perhaps I was easily swayed, but I would have taken her home right then and there if I had the trailer. At that time I didn't know much about the bloodlines, but it was plain to see this was a GOOD horse. A horse I wished I never had to see go.

Back to today, while I type this, I seemed to have rekindled this lost connection. How is it that I could run into this mare twice and my life without looking and it not be considered something? Now I see pictures of her riding english and western, through fields and ponds... But I might have to see this mare go by once again. The woman who owns her told me that someone is coming on Sunday to look at her, interested in a dressage prospect. She said she doesn't sound super interested, but she is still looking at her. I will be the first to know if this woman is passing on her, but I feel a bit helpless.

I hope I kept it interesting enough to merit reading this whole thing! But considering I won't be able to sleep, I figured I would post this up for all of Horse Forum to see. :wink: Things like this don't happen to me every day, and I hope I don't have to let her go again. It seems like fate. But then again if the dressage lady takes her, I'll have to let what is done be done, but I can't help but pray that this horse will become a part of my life! This all doesn't just happen on accident, I'm sure. I've always been a 'there is a reason for everything' type of person, even in the most foolish way that you have seen today.

·
Registered
392 Posts
Oh wow! That is pretty serendipitous, isn't it! :)

If the other woman does buy this horse, I would insist on giving her your contact info just in case it doesn't work out. That way you'd still have a chance at her, even if it wouldn't be until later on!

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At least I kept myself occupied most of today I didn't have to torture myself thinking about it. Fingers crossed this lady will say no and isn't a tire-kicker. But if she has money up front and I don't, I guess that is the ruling, too. I will have to do a bit of digging for gold, but hopefully I can come up with enough for a deposit before selling my gelding... so long as she remains available! Fingers crossed. :)

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe twitterpated is an accurate word to describe how I feel. :grin: The person who looked at her just didn't fit, so I am going to go check her out this Wednesday! I am pretty excited, but we will see how well her and I fit in the riding department and go from there. I have some pictures from her sale ad to share if anyone wants to take a gander. :D

I also just realized that she is the half-sister to the stallion we are breeding two of our Curlies to this spring. Which makes her the (half?) Aunt to my filly born this year (2013). Kind of amazing, really, how everything comes together.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
She is even more beautiful in person! Pictures do her no justice, and she doesn't even look bad in pictures. Just seeing her move, I can see why the wanted her to go to someone looking into dressage! I got to ride her, and with all the suspension in her gait it isn't easy to ride the trot. This will be very different than riding what I am used to, that is for sure. There is so much more evolved than just sitting on the horse. When she is in the arena, she knows it is work time!

She is all settled in. She gets along remarkably well in our smaller herd. I hadn't intended on putting them together right away, but she was upset when they left her so I let them be together. She fit right in! I see so much of her in my yearling filly, Takala. The bloodline is just remarkable, especially how they carry themselves.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took Darla out for a walk today, then after a mile trucking it through the snow, I got on her and things went great. I rode her in just a halter and lead rope. We also went through the woods and had to meander around a ridge and over trees. She did well in that case as well, without any refusal.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.