The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have no idea what he has on his tail, but someone said it might be melonoma. He has be scratching his tail, though he could stand to be wormed again. They are really hard, though they dont seem to be real sensetive. He only has a few on his tail. He has four tiny ones, and those are at the very top of his dock, and two of them are bigger. All of them are on the back side of his tail (though the larger ones are right inbetween his tail hair and the skin). Here are pictures of the largest one.

Picture 004.jpg

Picture 005.jpg

Hope everything I said makes sense! I have been putting tea tree oil on them, and I am going to make a solution, so if you have suggestions of what I should put in it, let me know!

·
Registered
7,012 Posts
I wish I knew the answer. I guess the only reason I am responding is because I know your worry. I have/had two gray horses and I know they are especially prone to getting cancer.

My old Arab died of colic (unknown cause) and he never showed any signs of melanomas, at least on the outside of his body. Part of me wonders if his re-occuring colic problems weren't cancer though.

I now have a 16yr old gray Foxtrotter mare and one of the first things I did when I went to look at her is lift up her tail, because I know they like to grow in those areas.

I do have a 30 yr old Paint gelding with cancer on his penis. They look like red, rashy patches that are raised and irritated looking. I don't think it looks the same as the cancers the gray horses get.

Anyway, I wish I could be of help, but maybe someone who has vet experience or who has had a horse with melanomas can be of more help. I hope it's nothing but itchy spots!

By the way, how old is he?

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
They don't look like the melanomas that I am familiar with but that doesn't mean that they aren't. I think probably the only one who could tell you for sure would be your vet. When Dobe got his, they were solid knots where no hair grew but they were black. It could possibly be a scab from where he scraped the skin off while rubbing his tail, I just don't know. Just for referance, here is what Dobe's looked like just before I had them removed.

Unfortunately, if they are melanomas, then there is nothing that you can do that will make them smaller or clear them up.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
you should have these evaluated by your vet. But the good news is that melanoma in gray horses is very different from melanoma in humans or other animals, which is almost always malignant and widely metastatic. Most gray horses with melanoma go on to live very long lives. But again, the only one who can say for sure is a vet who has examined this horse in person.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
He is about 14.

He is getting a check up soon, so I will ask the vet when they come out to do the check up.

Since I have put tea tree oil on them, he has stopped scratching them. He lets me mess with all of them and just watchs me and farts in my face... -.- LOL! I will try and get some better pictures soon. I just want to try and be able to prepare myself ahead of time, just incase they are melonoma.

I am not worried about them being a blemish at all! I am just worried about them. I dont care if he will have those for the rest of his life, as long as they dont effect his health.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hello!
My mare is a grey and has many melanomas! She has also had a few removed as they ulcerated.
Looking at your pictures, they don't look like melanomas to me. But...having said that I am not a veterinarian!!! The melanomas my mare has are protruding hard lumps. They vary in size.
I have done a lot of research on melanomas and they don't affect horses like they affect humans - most cases, in horses, the melanomas are benign!

Let us know what your vet says!
take care
Sarah

·
Registered
872 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Found out he DOES have melonoma. Had my trainer look at them today while we were looking him over to see what was wrong with him and I asked her since she has an old grey mare and she said they were melonoma. ):

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
It isn't a terrible thing. Most gray horses will end up with melanomas by the time they are 15 years old, that is one of the curses of the color. Fortunately, his look relatively small and appear to be more of a blemish than a health risk.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Aww...don't worry! Like Smrobs said...it's not a terrible thing. Melanomas in horses are usually benign. I have known many greys (plus my own) who have had them for years with no serious problems. If you research, you will see that most grey's with melanomas die of old age before melanomas!!! This is part of life for most greys.
When the melanoma is in a precarious area...that's when it might be a pain! My mare's was in her ear and on top of that it ulercated..but it was BENIGN. She still has one on her face, by her teats and three on her anus and two on her dock!!! Most of her melanomas have stayed the same size for years, some keep growing so I have them removed when they get bigger (like the ones on her anus). It's a very minor procedure to get them removed - it's just routine for us now.

A "curse of the color" is the best way to put it!! Just a blemish...
Sarah

·
Registered
182 Posts
I had to do a second look, and yes, they do look like melanoma. As has been said, grey (and white) horses have a high rate of skin 'problems', but it is generally not cancerous, and is very easily treated. Keep us posted on treatment and healing...Thanks!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.