The Horse Forum banner

Merlins Long Mane - Pull or leave?

5995 Views 43 Replies 33 Participants Last post by  Golden Horse
So, as you can see my horse Merlin has an incredibly long mane. It doesnt tangle too much but it gets in the way when I am riding and its supposed to be a really hot summer here. Should I pull it or leave it long and braid it up? At the same time I love his flowing mane, I do like the neat look of a pulled one too!
Pull, or leave long? :)

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
139 Posts
I think you should leave it. His mane is so pretty! I wish my horse had a mane like that!

· Registered
5,319 Posts
I'd trim/pull it just enough to even it out and then let it grow out with periodic trimming to keep it tidy.

· Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Long it is then! Here is a funny comparison picture.

When I got him off the track just over a year ago, he had a pulled mane, a half growing out bridle path and some funny little mohawk thing happening!

Attachments

· Registered
611 Posts
Wow, he sure looks better than he did before mane and overall condition. Nice work on your part. I think it's really a matter of personal preference re: pulled vs natural mane. I'm sure he would look fine either way. I have a battle to try and keep some of the horses from nawing of my Paint horse's long mane.

· Registered
5,319 Posts
You leave that mane right where it is. I made a big scene in front of my barn's trainer when I found out she cut about a a foot and a half of her brown tobiano's gorgeous mane so now it's only a few inches. Save the manes! My Fjord is the only one except from my love of free flowing manes. :lol:
So... something like this might be saddening to you? :twisted:

Reactions: Goosey
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.