The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wandering whether a metal or plastic comb is better. I would appreciate anyone's opinion.

·
Registered
12,001 Posts
For..mane and tail?

I just use my old hair brushes.

The best way is to use your fingers, though I just make a point to be careful with a brush and detangler

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
I've never used a comb on my horse's hair. I use a human hair brush, but I only brush my guy's tail out every month or two.

Unless you're asking about mane pulling combs. In that case, I use a metal one with a wooden handle :D

·
Registered
2,727 Posts
^ I have not heard of plastic pulling combs, but can't imagine they are very good or last very long.
Neither have I, but the question just referred to combs in general so I shared general comb knowledge :p Heck, my metal one recently lost its handle...

·
Super Moderator
15,267 Posts
I've never used a metal comb in the mane or tail unless I was "pulling" at the time.

I have an old hairbrush of mine {boars head bristle} that works when I remember to use it.
Otherwise...my medium hard horse brush is what I use or my fingers... and I do my mane & tail often, not once every few weeks.

No problem with a "thin" tail or mane.
I also don't yank from the top but take the time to work from the bottom up removing knots and snarls...

:wink:

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
I use both. A metal one for pulling, and then I've got a plastic Oster one for brushing. He has a thing mane, and a brush just seems excessive xD The human hair brush is saved for the tail.

·
Registered
8,362 Posts
I use both, but which I use it depends on the abundance and fineness of the main and tail, themselves. My haffie has an overabundance of mane and tail so I use a super wide toothed plastic comb (I got it at sally's - it is for human use, although I am not sure for what). On my appyX ,which has amazingly silky fine hair but not much of it, I use a finer toothed metal comb b/c I can. ;)

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
i find a human hair brush works much better than a comb. but when i did use a comb in the past i found a plastic one could make a horse's hair have static when it was dry and hot out or dry and cold out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.