The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am thinking of breeding my tb mare to this stallion and was wondering what your thoughts on him were. Be brutal :)

Here is a link to his page

:: October Hill Farm ::

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
He's nice, but really - it takes two. It depends a lot on your mare. I've seen some pretty god awful foals from some nice stallions.

·
Registered
3,175 Posts
yah do u have pic of your mare? and I noticed on the link they mention accepted mares an TB isnt one of them. have you talked to the owners about that?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey, I am at work :D but I bought her last august and her sale page is still up on the internet. Here is a link

SportHorse Sales - Xena

**Just a note- This is a future breeding, and will not occur for about 3 years**

If you dont think she is worthy than please tell me, and also feel free to critique her.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Also, I changed her name to Lilah

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
I didn't see where the acceptable mare list is and don't have time to look all over but if it is there my guess is that they will breed only REGISTERED mares that are approved in the registries the stallion has been approved of....so is she?

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stallion owner will breed to registered horses, I already checked...

·
Banned
1,390 Posts
woa... that mare......somthings funny about her neck and her back.....maybe shes built uphill?idk
pretty horses, though!

·
Banned
5,526 Posts
The stallion owner will breed to registered horses, I already checked...

Registered is one thing, APPROVED is another ball of wax entirely.

If your mare is a registered TB only the foal with end up being a GRADE horse, NOT a registered one.

Grade horses are a dime a dozen and in this economy not worth very much.

So if you are willing to pay a stud fee that is higher than what the foal will be worth then good luck.

·
Registered
924 Posts
Both your mare and that stud are a little straighter through the shoulder and hips. What are you planning to do with your baby? A little straight for a show jumper can be useful if they're athletic but a straight dressage/eventer will have problems. And a straighter made horse doesn't usually have the panache to do well in the hunters either, they tend to not be as snappy with the knees and flatter over the jump. So first figure out what you want to do with the baby. If you're breeding it as a sale prospect I would say don't do it. Your mare is decent but she's not outstanding conformationally and she has no viable show record so your chances of even breaking even on a baby are slim to none. Not trying to dash your hopes just trying to be realistic here.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
woa... that mare......somthings funny about her neck and her back.....maybe shes built uphill?idk
pretty horses, though!

Nahh, nothing funny about her, she would look better with a little meat, think JDIs Denny, she is just built uphill, could be a good or bad thing.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I enjoy doing jumpers, and the foal is for personal use. I would like to get lilah into the oldenburg main mare book but sadly I live in alaska and there are not inspections up here. Mabe eventually I will be able to travel down to the states with her to do it. I am aware of the registration process and really just want a horse for me. I love this stallions breeding and was just wondering my mare and him would make a good combo. Just to repeat my self, I am in college and will deffinatly be waiting for a couple years to breed, IF I do breed. Thank you for all of the feed back

·
Registered
924 Posts
If it was me I'd find a stud that had more angle through the shoulder and hips, and had a little more set to the hocks and pasterns to even out your mare. Remember that the best stud for your mare might not be the prettiest, you have to figure out how to improve on your mare and figure out what stud has the characteristics to do this.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.