The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone here from Michigan? What is the horse world like there? Trails? Competitions? Boarding places?

Any one live around Bad Axe?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I am from Michigan but not near Bad Axe. Where I board we have two good Metro Parks with horse trails. I think it really depends on the area you are in if it is horsey or not. Are you moving here?

·
Registered
214 Posts
going to the bad axe area? I can look into that for you. I have a few horsey friends around the state.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I looked up the area...thumb area. pretty rural out there so I can imagine there are quite a few horse people out there. I am assuming you will come out and look around first? I do not know anyone in the thumb area but have driven through it. Quiet, small, countryish....If you can get closer to Lake Huron you will have some nice small costal towns. Are you relocating for work?

·
Registered
6,345 Posts
I love Michigan! Our family has a cottage on the lake just south of Holland. I have brought my OTTB up there many times we have been a few times to a place called the Double J Resort in Rothbury, it was a blast. my husband golfed all day and I rode all day. I went to Macanac Island several times including my honeymoon. I want to retire up there. I go up at least 3-4 x a year. I can't wait till May when we open the cottage.

Attachments

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I looked up the area...thumb area. pretty rural out there so I can imagine there are quite a few horse people out there. I am assuming you will come out and look around first? I do not know anyone in the thumb area but have driven through it. Quiet, small, countryish....If you can get closer to Lake Huron you will have some nice small costal towns. Are you relocating for work?
Cool thanks.

I can't really say the reason yet sorry

·
Registered
99 Posts
I lived in Michigan for 18 years and rode horses there pretty much the whole time. I lived in Midland which isn't to far from Bad Axe. If you are looking for competitions and horse shows the Midland County Fairgrounds puts on a lot of shows all throughout the year. Also the Saginaw Fairgrounds puts on some. As far as trail riding there are trails EVERYWHERE across the state. There is a club in that area called Tri County Horse Association, they do a lot of trail rides and put on some shows. They would be good to get involved with if you are looking to trail ride. Also there is the Shore to Shore group, they do a ride every year either from East to West or North to South. There are horse camps that they stop at all along the state. You could look them up online on the Shore to Shore website or the MI DNR website. Some of the goods ones were Goose Creek, South Branch, Johnson's Crossing. All of them have sand trails and are pretty rider friendly. I will do some more research and see what I can find. If you have any more questions feel free to ask! Hope this helps!

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I lived in Michigan for 18 years and rode horses there pretty much the whole time. I lived in Midland which isn't to far from Bad Axe. If you are looking for competitions and horse shows the Midland County Fairgrounds puts on a lot of shows all throughout the year. Also the Saginaw Fairgrounds puts on some. As far as trail riding there are trails EVERYWHERE across the state. There is a club in that area called Tri County Horse Association, they do a lot of trail rides and put on some shows. They would be good to get involved with if you are looking to trail ride. Also there is the Shore to Shore group, they do a ride every year either from East to West or North to South. There are horse camps that they stop at all along the state. You could look them up online on the Shore to Shore website or the MI DNR website. Some of the goods ones were Goose Creek, South Branch, Johnson's Crossing. All of them have sand trails and are pretty rider friendly. I will do some more research and see what I can find. If you have any more questions feel free to ask! Hope this helps!
Thanks a whole bunch!!

·
Registered
6,800 Posts
I live in Michigan in the Kalamazoo area. We have some local shows within 30 minutes of me. Lots of horse barns in the 45 minute radius of me. There are state parks within an hour from me. Not sure where Bad Ax is compared to me but I can look it up. Anything more specific you wanna know?

·
Registered
730 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I live in Michigan in the Kalamazoo area. We have some local shows within 30 minutes of me. Lots of horse barns in the 45 minute radius of me. There are state parks within an hour from me. Not sure where Bad Ax is compared to me but I can look it up. Anything more specific you wanna know?
I would love to have more opportunities to go to shows there so thanks for letting me know that that is a possibility. If I can get into contact with a horse person from near Bad Axe that would be great!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.