The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing these commercials for 'Mikmar Bits'... they look... Interesting. What's your opinion on them? Do they work? (doubting... lol)

It looks to me like they're advertizing like the bit will solve all your horse's problems in life. Kinda rubs me the wrong way :/ Idk. What do you think?

·
Registered
16,645 Posts
Sorry, I know nothing about these bits, but I don't particularly like what I see in the photos I've seen of them. I'm not a big fan of "pressure" bits.

I do like some of their three link snaffles, though. Which bits were you referring to?

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Love their snaffles. Both my horses go in cupreon lorenzo (one in eggbutt, one in loose rings/eggbutt combo). My qh literally refused to go in all other bits I tried.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
They are marketing their bits to poor-handed riders. The cables and such are supposed to disperse the rein pressure over different points of the head and not just in the horse's mouth. That is my interpretation anyway.

They even say somewhere that it is very hard to hurt a horse's mouth with their bits.

I just sort of say "why?" Why would I even need one of their bits? I can't think of a reason. They are not even pretty to look at. :lol:

·
Registered
23,909 Posts

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
KV, I don't think anyone has taken issue with their normal looking bits like the one you linked. It's those spadecurbahack monstrosities that really bother me.

Their way of advertising those really reminds me of SH8 and his adamant blathering about how his "bridle" can cure whatever problems you have with your horse, no actual training needed :roll:.

Frank Evans actually said in one of their commercials, while holding this bit, "It's very difficult, even for bad hands, to mess up a horse's mouth in this bit. It's really hard to jerk him hard enough that you're gonna hurt him." I'm sorry, but you know what? That little tiny string across his nose is going to hurt if you put any pressure on it at all and you're talking about people with crappy hands using this bit? WTF is wrong with that picture:evil: ? I guess he did get one thing right though, they may not be able to mess up his mouth, just ignore the blood he's got running down his nose from where the string cut him:roll:.

IMHO, any self proclaimed horseman who would say something like that needs to have the bejeebees knocked out of him. I always kinda figured that the idea was to teach better hands, not just slap a contraption on their head that makes it painful to fight or resist and then just keep yanking.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
KV, I don't think anyone has taken issue with their normal looking bits like the one you linked. It's those spadecurbahack monstrosities that really bother me.
I know, smrobs. I was somewhat overreacting, but it bothers me when people start to talk about "Mikmar" bits (referring to the brand, not specific types of bits). Their combination bits (whatever they call it) - yes, they look scary IMHO, and I wouldn't use one on my horse. But their snaffles are awesome - better than Korsteel, or even those twice more expensive KK Ultra bits. What I'm trying to say "generalization" is not always a good thing, so I was just trying to be on fair side if someone with no knowledge about it start reading the thread. :wink:

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
...I'm just hating on the "TRAINING" "four point pressure" bit. I can't get past the long shanks, super high port mouthpiece, and the weird noseband thing... Just screwed up. NO horse should be trained in this. I strongly believe in good 'ol simple snaffles.
NOT this weird contraption.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
...I'm just hating on the "TRAINING" "four point pressure" bit. I can't get past the long shanks, super high port mouthpiece, and the weird noseband thing... Just screwed up. NO horse should be trained in this. I strongly believe in good 'ol simple snaffles.
NOT this weird contraption.
Runs, I'll try to dig out the similar discussion on my local forum. But I (kinda) remember people really swear by those strange bits. Again, I wouldn't use one, but I wonder what was the reason to come up with them in 1st place.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
OK. Here we go... Although to me the whole discussion sounds more like lack of training in 1st place.

Re: Mikmar Update

I dont know this is my first experience with them. have had it less than a
couple weeks so far. I don't know any of their other products yet and no i
don't sell them.
I am really feel freaked that i'm saying the same things that
I read in other people's testimonials online. hahah.
Guess I too kind of really didn't believe it would work so i am still kind
of pleasantly surprised.

PS if you arent having any problems with your horse like head rearing, speeding, lack of control, lack of brakes, lack of vertical collection, etc...it may not be necessary.

-wrote:
Great to hear that your horse is doing well with the new bit.Do they
happen to have one for bucking horses LOL -

-wrote:
Hello,
Well i finally got around to riding her with the Mikmar after
walking her around in it 3 times. She was very unused to it and
was doing a bit of head tossing while getting accustomed which is why
i waited to mount. This horse was certainly not a beginner horse.
She usually started out at a trot and got faster. I could not get her
to walk peacefully or trot comfortably. Her head was usually way up
in the ear mouthing the egg but snaffles. She tossed her head a lot,
was not soft and worst of all.... she had no breaks. You pull on
the reins and say HO!! and she went faster or would even seem to spook
and bolt!!

Finally with the Mikmar I would almost say a beginner can rider her.
She has brakes and walks around in a controlled fashion. She does
not feel like a car that starts out at 30 mph and can go no slower.
She does not feel like youre driving a speeding car and discover
there are no brakes anymore. Now there is a lot more real training
ahead, but i've got to say this bit did exactly what i hoped for. It
is kind of amazing. It gave me control over this horse as a basic
place to start refining her.

Now this is with the Mikmar Training Bit. The representative
recommended that I work her down to the new Mikmar broken
Combination Bit as soon as possible. Just because this one is a
long shank and kind of bulky. It will be nicer to move down to the
smaller one she recommended l ater.

Just so you know, if you have a problem horse, this MAY just be the
solution to get you over the hump.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
I have a friend who uses one of those Mikmar monstrosities (appearance, not effect). Hers has a short shank, and her previously nasty horse is completely turned around.

Now, she can ride him in a simple snaffle, and he stays quiet. I don't know why that Mikmar bit worked for her, but it did. She still uses it on the trails because he's a bit excitable. She thinks the poll pressure helps - I think he just likes to play with that roller and the poll pressure just gets his attention.

·
Registered
6,955 Posts
Sorry guys, yes, I was talking about the weird combo bits. I have no problem with the "normal" looking ones.

Actually, I have no problem with the combo bits either. I have never used one or known anyone to use one. I didn't mean for it to come off as attitude, so sorry if it did.

I guess what I mean is, I don't know why I would ever want to use one. I have never encountered a horse that had real bit issues that something in my currently collection couldn't handle. I guess I have been blessed. When I get a new horse, I go through just about everything I have to see what they seem to work best in. And I ride them in that for a while. Then before long when we get our understanding and communication down pat, I can ride them in just about anything, from snaffle, to curb to hackamore.

I guess I just have never needed all the cables and nose and poll pressure. But that doesn't mean there isn't a use for it or there aren't horses out there that need it.

Their ads used to drive me crazy though (the one with the pinto horse) because they would show the horse throwing it's head up in a snaffle, and then tucking it's head with one of the combo bits. And I'm thinking "it's the curb action, duh!" Any curb will encourage them to break at the poll. It's not that their bit is something special. A regular curb would do the same thing- tuck the head. That's my feeling anyway.

So that's what I think of when I think of Mikmar- the combo bits. Their regular snaffles are just nice, regular bits. I wasn't meaning to lump those in. Sorry.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
I didn't mean for it to come off as attitude, so sorry if it did.
It didn't at all. :D I was just trying to introduce those nice Mikmar bits too together with odd combo ones in thread if someone will be interested in Mikmar brand in general.

I never read their ads, but funny enough the last bit I bought in Dover came with DVD(!) (free one, of course). I wonder if it's a promotion for those combo bits. But I trashed it anyway - I think I know how to use their plain snaffle. Lol!

·
Registered
16,205 Posts
I'd be interested in one of their snaffles (like the looks of the eggbut/loose ring combo) if they weren't copper. :-/ Aires hates copper bits.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts

i have this bit and used it on a TB i used to own - he seemed to enjoy it more so than other bits i put in his mouth although i'm not sure what in particular to attribute that to: the shape, the weight, the metal alloy, etc.

i also know a woman who drives her combined driving horse in a mikmar bit but for the life of me i am unable to find anything on their website that looks like the bit she has. perhaps they don't make it anymore? *shrug*

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
i have this bit and used it on a TB i used to own - he seemed to enjoy it more so than other bits i put in his mouth although i'm not sure what in particular to attribute that to: the shape, the weight, the metal alloy, etc.
Shape (it's more flat on tongue than traditional oval mouth) and taste I'd imagine. My mom licked the new one while back out of curiosity and said it indeed has a nice taste in it.

·
Registered
1,543 Posts
haha that's fantastic. i should do that seeing as i just cleaned that particular bridle and bit so no worries of any horsey goober slobber left over. :p

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
haha that's fantastic. i should do that seeing as i just cleaned that particular bridle and bit so no worries of any horsey goober slobber left over. :p
Ha-ha! Good luck! Or you can just take my word on it! :wink:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.