The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently heard of this bit brand, and that they are great for hunters and dressage, does anyone have any critiques? Maybe between Mikmar and Myler?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Myler v.s. Mikmar

I do not like anything about Mikmar bits! They are bulky, no tongue relief, and super heavy! They also shove the horses head down by force!!! Myler on the other hand has tongue relief, copper inlay, more affordable, smooth mouthed, large variety of cheeks and mouthpieces, and they are not severe!!! MYLER IS #1 !!!!!

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Actually I'm pretty sure Mikmars are illegal in the show ring for hunters AND dressage. I've seen jumpers use them on their horses though that really REALLY need brakes. I don't love them because I think they're pretty strong but I don't blame certain people for using them on certain horses. While I don't believe that a snaffle is for everyone, IMHO the average horse schooling at home should not need a mikmar.

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Folks, this question was raised before I have to STRONGLY disagree with you. I have 2 Mikmar bits for my qh Mikmar Bit Company (for english work) and Mikmar Bit Company (with roller for trail riding), and she preferred the 1st one to all other 3-link bits I tried for the ring work (including Myler(!) barrel, Albacon french link, and really expensive KK Ultra with lorentzo).

And BTW, the first one is legal for dressage too (even though I don't care about it much). :)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I don't think these are allowed in the jumper ring...

·
Registered
3,221 Posts
Sorry, I guess i should have looked into Mikmars a little closer before I responded. When most people say "mikmar" it's often assumed you mean the giant bit with the flat piece and all that (i'll try and post a pic). THAT'S the stronger bit i was talking about that is considered "unconventional" (ie: illegal) in the hunter ring. The one (english) posted by Kitten Val would completely be ok. Looks a lot like the Herm Sprengers that I (and most of my horses) love. Do you know how long they've been making those? Never seen one by them before!

I don't think these are allowed in the jumper ring...
They definitely are. Both kinds. :)

Attachments

·
Registered
23,909 Posts
Upnover, I know what bits all of you were talking about. :D And I do agree about those huge ones (although some people I know say they are great even though they look pretty scary). I just wanted to point out that Mikmar also produces really nice bits, which IMO better then many other brands on market (frankly I think the look/design is also better then Myler bits).

I actually also thought Mikmars are only strange looking one till I run into the lorentzo eggbutt in Dover earlier this year, and it was the size I needed (5 1/4, which is not very standard). Still too expensive, but I couldn't find anything cheaper being eggbutt + 3-link + copper + 5 1/4, so I gave it a try. It indeed looks like Herm Sprenger (I have one for my paint), but the middle piece is little more flat and long. It's also different color, so I assume the amount of copper is different (OR may be even different materials involved). The good thing it's cheaper then Herm Sprenger. Lol!

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.