The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, this my mare, Matilda, and I jumping about 2'6. It's an oxer with a cross rail, then a straight pole with half barrels in front of the overturned barrels I use as standards. Be as harsh as you like. I'm so proud of my baby, this was our second time jumping this jump. I bent back down after the jump because she stumbled. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yep, she's a rusher. I've been circling her and half halting her in the approach, and just keeping her collected, it's working pretty well, she's just gotta accept that she can't gallop over everything. Thanks so much!

Anything I should change in my form or position?

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
with you jumping bareback, it obviously will be different form than in a saddle, but all i see that may be fixed is you are gripping a lot with the back of your calves. i haven't jumped bareback in years, and when i did the jumps were smaller than what you are going over. others with more experience will be able to chime in better i'm sure.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's showing up for me. I'll work on it. I'm trying to uplaod another video of me on a different mare that I excersie for her owner.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Sloooow doooown. Flying at a jump is what is going to knock rails and cause accidents around corners. She took a super long spot because she didn't have a good, balanced canter on the approach. Sit up, woah a little bit and get a quieter canter step well before coming to the jump. You want impulsion more than you want speed, which will help you be able to jump effectively.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok, like I said, I've been working on slowing her down. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
What you can do that I saw my instructor do with another student's horse is this (he was also a rusher). You trot towards the jump but right before it, you turn her sharply and do a circle, and you keep doing circles right before the jump until she trots nicely and doesn't try to anticipate it.

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I would suggest trot poles before your jump. Get her into her brain mode. It's what I do with our young mare and man is her form coming around.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I would caution you against what Hidalgo is suggesting, you may turn one bad habit into another and create a horse that runs out. Another good alternative is to trot to the fence and immediately woah afterwards, or take the jump on a circle so she has to think about where she's going afterwards, and doesn't have time to get into 'rushing' mode. Grid work can also work wonders.
Although watching your video, your canter is way too big and fast WELL before the jump, I think this is a problem that needs to be solved on the flat first. If you have a generally rushy canter, you're not going to be able to slow her down approaching a jump. I suggest working on control on the flat FIRST.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can collect her easily on the flat, and she had a wonderful, rounded, canter, until we jump. I didn't jump today, but I'll definitely keep y'all s help in mind.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I know it's difficult without a saddle, but try to stay in 2-point position a little longer after you take off. Other than that I'm really impressed! :D:D

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Ok, I took Matilda to a cross-country course, but I only got pics of their stadium jumps. Tear me to shreds. I'm mortified by my landings and toes, any advice would be great. There are a ton, but most are frame by frame pics.

Having issues, they may come a few at a time. Or one. Thanks guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Oh, I just want to add that I haven't jumped since the last time I posted.

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More pics!

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Last ones! I may be able to get the videos up tomorrow, I'll work on it. Thanks you guys!

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, just wanted to add, the jumps were just randomly placed, so some have awkward angles...

Also, she didn't rush, not once. In fact, I had to push her to keep her canter, I thiink it was because there was more than one jump, so she couldn't focus on just the one for too long.

This is Turner jumping. She doesn't like jumping very much, but I wanted to build her confidence. Ignore the other kids, they came out to ride for the day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3pBQTh1ZU68

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Ok, here are the videos from the course. Ignore the white jump with poles in front of it. She went over it once, then, never again.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
I strongly suggest you stop jumping in a Western saddle, the shape of the saddle keeps you from being able to stay close to the tack- your upper body is way up in the air, and in a couple of pictures you look like you're inches away from gutting yourself. The stirrups do your legs no favours, letting them swing back too much. And notice how your center of gravity is pushed way back against the cantle of the saddle OR bumped way forward? It also keeps from distributing the shock of landing properly over your horses back- because it wasn't designed for jumping- and can cause problems in the long run.

You need to bring your elbows in a little, relax through your shoulders to keep from 'hunching' and get your feet forward in the stirrup so the stirrup isn't on the arch of your foot. Hold your position sitting in the saddle, shoulders back, eyes up, until your horse jumping pushes you up and out of the tack instead of jumping ahead.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.