The Horse Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a mineral brick (pictured) in Spot's feed bucket. If I put it in a holder, he destroys the holder, so I found an alternative. This kind of helps him eat slower, too. Well... he tends to go through the brick pretty quickly and even though I don't replace it right away, I worry about overindulgence. Should I get one of those "Stall snack" things that hangs? Make it a challenge for him? Or does he even need it? Are there any other ways I can pace his consumption of it? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
You can buy mineralized salt in loose form and just feed it as a supplement, like 1/4 tablespoon in evening feed or something similar. Most of our horses don't get free choice salt, they get it in their grain.

·
Registered
956 Posts
I've wondered the same! My horses have a selenium salt blockand a mineral block that has a little bit of everything and a little molasses mixed in. Naturally they much prefer the one with molasses. It takes them about 3 weeks to eat it, so I usually wait another week before putting a new one out. meanwhile, they have the selenium salt block.
I usually just do this for cost reasons, but it seems to me that if a horse is eating it, he probably needs it, or it is his way of curing boredom...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
If they're going through it too fast it can cause kidney problems. Makes them dehydrated, so they drink a ton, then they pee a lot, then they eat a lot more salt, and the cycle continues. My previous mare could and would go through a salt block in a matter of a few days. I asked my vet about it and he suggested just supplementing the salt in her grain to prevent her from eating too much salt too quickly.

Reactions: caseymyhorserocks

·
Registered
2,363 Posts
I agree with Strange. Rather than having a block, give him like 1/2 or 3/4 tablespoon of salt a day, and 3/4 or 1 when worked up to a sweat. If at all possible, ask your vet about how much to give.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
If your horse is doing a lot of work and sweating a lot, just go with an electrolyte supplement instead of just plain salt.

(Sorry I keep posting here, haha, I keep thinking of more to add).

1 - 6 of 6 Posts