The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I may have the chance of purchasing a second horse. Either a younger (my spelling is wonky today) filly or "adopt" a mini. I believe I can handle training a horse (again) along side my trusted trainer. I am looking for a filly around 2 years old most likely out of my trainers reining mare. I do understand the amount of time I will need to spend with the filly and the chances of getting injured while training. I am commited about working with my trainer to make sure I don't mess up to badly. I am prepared to feed and care for a second horse.
On the other hand I am really into mini's and I am willing to "adopt" or train one. Minis also eat less and there is no need for a saddle...I would love to learn how to drive and do halter. The mini showing world is booming here. I am also in contact with a mini (not a midget lol) trainer.
So should I go for training a younger horse or "adopt" a mini?
Thank you
Tasia

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Hello, I may have the chance of purchasing a second horse. Either a younger (my spelling is wonky today) filly or "adopt" a mini. I believe I can handle training a horse (again) along side my trusted trainer. I am looking for a filly around 2 years old most likely out of my trainers reining mare. I do understand the amount of time I will need to spend with the filly and the chances of getting injured while training. I am commited about working with my trainer to make sure I don't mess up to badly. I am prepared to feed and care for a second horse.
On the other hand I am really into mini's and I am willing to "adopt" or train one. Minis also eat less and there is no need for a saddle...I would love to learn how to drive and do halter. The mini showing world is booming here. I am also in contact with a mini (not a midget lol) trainer.
So should I go for training a younger horse or "adopt" a mini?
Thank you
Tasia
Interesting situation, because they are 2 completely different options.

What are your plans in the near and distant future? is this horse going to be for you? is it going to be a resale project? why not do both? Either than the tack point of view, owning a miniature horse is not any cheaper than a full horse. They will still need all the same vet care, farrier and dental work.

Both are great and fun projects, but both of them will also allow you to do completely different things.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What are your plans in the near and distant future? is this horse going to be for you? is it going to be a resale project? why not do both? Either than the tack point of view, owning a miniature horse is not any cheaper than a full horse. They will still need all the same vet care, farrier and dental work.

Both are great and fun projects, but both of them will also allow you to do completely different things.

In the future I will be bringing my horse (s) home. Most likley the horse would be for me. It will not be a resale project. I would LOVE to do both but I only have space for one or the other.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have two riding horses and just got a mini. I'm sooooooo glad that I did. There is so much you can do with them. They are also very easy to work with, at least mine is. He's a coming 2 year old and learns really fast.

So, I'd have to vote get a MINI Ü

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Would you not want a companion for your single horse?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think I will be going for a full sized as my horse life is riding. I am Deff. looking for a mare.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.