The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mini Rant - Rescue Centre where I got my horse

3K views 20 replies 12 participants last post by  PaintsPwn 
#1 ·
Ok, so today the Rescue Centre where I got Lucky came to check up on her. To be honest they really offended me.

When they first sold her to me, they said she was 100% bombproof, when she arrived it was obvious she wasn't, even under the best rider, she spooked all the time. Today I told them this, just to be clear that they thought she was honestly bombproof when they sold her to me. They insisted she went on sponsered rides and was a childrens riding school pony (to be honest, I cannot believe A WORD of that, because even a horse trainer told me she was nervous. Also, I'd found out from someone else who worked there that before she came to them, a motorbike had driven up behind her, spooked her and the rider came off, fractured her spine, which is why she went to the rescue centre in the first place!) Then she said to me "well, if you don't ride with confidence, you wont have a confident horse" which is true, I know, but I've always been a confident rider, it was Lucky that was nervous when she came to me! She also told me Lucky was fine in the heaviest of traffic, which I know isn't true, as whenever I ride on roads with her, she completely freaks, even when I am as calm!

One of the employees then started prodding her back (and she had massive, stupid manicured nails). Lucky twitched, and she turned round to me and started snapping that "had I had someone out to see about her back??" To be honest, I've never noticed anything wrong with Lucky's back, and when I had the trainer over, she checked every single part of her, just incase it was the tack making her uncomforatble and nervous. She then said "she's had this problem before you know, and it needs keeping on top of" This was news to me. I knew that her withers had become sore after THEY had given her a saddle that didn't fit correctly, which was their fault! That shouldn't mean that I should have to have a physio person out every 6 months, just because an animal sanctury put a bad fitting saddle on a horse!

They also complained that the bedding for my horse wasn't deep enough. It's been absolutely fine for over a year, so I don't see what their problem is now! Lucky has never shown a problem with it, infact, when I made it a little deeper, she refused to step onto it!
I'm not saying I'm horse carer of the year, but I know how to care for my horse properly! Urgh, it just infuriates me, how they sold me a "bombproof horse" thrn implies I make her nervous, say I made her back sore and that I don't give her the right bedding!

By the way, I just needed to get that off my chest, I'm not going to do anything rash LOL but still, just made me SUPER annoyed!

See less See more
#3 ·
Yeah, I'm still getting her checked, just incase (even though it was blaitantly their fault! And, they didn't even tell me I needed to have her back checked often, infact they didn't even tell me I needed it checked at all, until today!)

They're coming to check back on her in a month, incase I'm not looking after her properly.

To be honest, it's really upsetting to think that people think I'm not looking after my horse. Especially after they caused her some of the damage :-|

#10 ·
Yeah, I'm still getting her checked, just incase (even though it was blaitantly their fault! And, they didn't even tell me I needed to have her back checked often, infact they didn't even tell me I needed it checked at all, until today!)

They're coming to check back on her in a month, incase I'm not looking after her properly.

To be honest, it's really upsetting to think that people think I'm not looking after my horse. Especially after they caused her some of the damage :-|
Sorry - if you have had her for a year, the current sore back would not be their fault. If her back was that bad when you got her, you should of noticed it right away.

Get it checked out and as was suggested, have a trainer or vet there as back up then next time they come.

#5 ·
Yeah, it's awful. I didn't pay loads for her, but everything I've paid out has been my money that I earned, and also, I love her, she's everything to me. I'd put her before college if I had to. And now, if for some reason they think I'm unfit, they can just take her back. It would break my heart:cry:, and the thing is, I look after her really well. If they'd have told me about her back in the first place, then I'd have done something about it.

#8 · (Edited)
Why not have your trainer there with you next time so your trainer can speak on your behalf. (That is assuming your trainer is one of those types that is able to think quickly on their feet and handle rude people with a smile.)

And this is a very good example of why a person needs to make sure they carefully read the contract that they sign. You obviously agreed to this .....

#11 ·
Technically it's full loan, but they don't often get involved. I say bought cos it was a lump sum I paid, not installments. They have to still be involved because she still technically belongs to them so if I ever wanted to move her they have to check it out Etc. The thing is, there isn't anything noticably wrong with her back, my trainer checked it out about 4 months ago, and to be honest I havent ridden much since then, I haven't done damage to her back. The only thing that was wrong with her back was it was made sore when they put a wrong fitting saddle on her for a long time, but they said it was better. Lucky never seems to have a problem with her back when I'm around her, but i'm getting it checked anyway.

#12 ·
If you are going to be this upset every time they come check on the horse and the contract does not allow you to simply purchase the horse and be done with them, then I suggest you give them the horse back and find a horse you can actually purchase.

#14 ·
I know, it just seemed handy, cos if I ever got too busy with college, I'd have a home straight away for her, and I wouldn't have to worry about who she went to. The only reason it upset me is cos they imply I don't look after her, when I swear on my life I do.

#15 ·
Read any thread on this BB and you will see that everyone has differing opinions on what properly taking care of a horse is. Even the most simple horse keeping item can lead to a pretty heated discussion about what is right and what is not.

You are far more likely to encounter people who do not agree with your horsekeeping than you will that agree 100%.

#16 ·
I would bet they want her back so that they can "rehome" her and take someone else for a pile of money. I would meet them at the property line and inform them that if they wanted the horse back they could take her now or never come back. If they take her then you have learned an expensive lesson and next time you can buy a horse instead of signing a "fleece" agreement. If they don't then get a bill of sale.

#17 ·
Honestly, the first thing I would do is get all of the issues checked out (her back and anything else they mentioned), take pictures of her current bedding, and send them a letter, outlining their concerns and what you did to correct them, along with copies of any vet/chiro reports. I am in NO WAY saying they are right and you are wrong, but it's time to start C.Y.A. Start documenting EVERYTHING. If they try to come back later and take her, you'll have all the proof you need that you provided adaquate care (which is what most rescue agreements require).

#19 ·
Wow.. I hope NEXT time they're not going to be so picky about everything!
Sorry you had to go through that!

#20 ·
Most adoption/rescue/re-home organizations that I've heard of have a similar policy to what the OP is describing.....the horse comes and live with you, the staff do random drop-ins to make sure the horse is in good care, and if all is well at the end of the year, the horse is yours forever. Since most people who rescue horses give the horses better than minimum care, taking them back is never an issue.

Out of curiosity (if you feel like sharing) what organization did you get her from?

#21 ·
I worked for a rescue.

The most insane lot of people you've ever met. And get this, the horses that they considered were 'too much work', were sold to an auction man. Yep.

I could understand rehoming a horse, and checking up on him a year later and offering a bit of advice if the people were lacking - but in my experience, and the rescue I worked with, they weren't even skilled enough to eye an awful trim job - one of which, ended up with a horse having one foot an inch longer than the other. After I alerted them to this, they were like "...Oh... Okay we'll find someone else!" o____o They also brought in a strangles infected horse that I told them not to buy at the auction, you can imagine my pleasant demeanor.

Thankfully, their vet was insanely good and did everything at a discounted price. It didn't take him long to figure out I had at least half of a brain, and then started telling me what the horses needed as far as care. My first project there? A horse who'd gashed his entire canon open, fractured his canon bone, AND was foundered 8| Mind you, I had ZERO experience in big injuries, but I just did what the vet told me to do every day, and he eventually went off to be adopted.

I learned a lot, but I will never put up with crazy damn rescue people, EVER again. Instead, I go to auctions, buy my own projects or get them from people for free, and get them where they need to be and send them to their homes. These people always keep in contact with us, and absolutely love their new friends. That in my opinion, is a successful rescue. Not one of these like you're dealing with.

Too bad you don't get equus magazine. There was a great article about how bedding that's too deep is bad for your horse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.